Monday, 1 September 2014

Kulfi




Kulfi is a traditional Indian dessert that is similar to ice cream. I'd never heard of it before, but came across the recipe when I had a gift subscription to The Spicery. This gets you a 'spicebox' every month, where you receive a variety of packets of spices along with the suggested recipes to use them with. I thought this was a great idea as nothing puts me off trying new recipes like having to shell out on expensive jars of spice only to use a pinch, or even worse, not being able to get my hands on them at all. Plus it's a great way of trying out lots of new weird and wonderful spices you've never heard of! (Not a sales pitch by the way, the subscription was bought for me as a gift. I would have continued it, but just can't justify it with house buying and wedding saving!)


I thought the Kulfi looked great on the recipe card - so pretty and pink, and seemed quite simple to make to boot. Here's the recipe - unfortunately not the most helpful, as the spices were provided ready measured in the kit, I don't know the quantities! However, it might be useful for anyone who knows their spices, or who just wants to see how it's made!


You'll need:
800g roughly chopped strawberries, plus a few handfuls for serving
juice of 1 lime
397g tin condensed milk
sugar
Long pepper, crushed finely in a pestle and mortar
Pink pepper, crushed coarsely in a pestle and mortar
Cardamom

1. Place 800g of strawberries in a blender and blend to a smooth puree


2. Place the condensed milk, 1 tbsp sugar, cardamom and 3/4 of the long pepper into a saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer. Stir occasionally to prevent it from catching on the bottom of the pan.
3. Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the strawberry puree and half the lime juice.


4. Pour into 4 ramekins and freeze for at least 2-3 hours.
5. Sprinkle a teaspoon of sugar, the remaining lime juice, a pinch of pink pepper and the remaining long pepper over the remaining strawberries.
6. Remove the ramekins from the freezer around half an hour before serving, and serve with some of the chopped strawberries on the side and a sprinkle of pink pepper.


I've not made this again due to not being bothered to look out for the spices, but writing this up has made me want to! It was such a unique flavour, the sweetness of the strawberries contrasted so well with the warmth of the spice, and even though it looks like a summery dessert I think it would work just as well in winter too.

I've had this post kicking around in my drafts folder for some time now, and as soon as the Alphabakes September letter was announced I was on to it like a shot! Alphabakes is hosted by Ros of The More Than Occasional Baker and Caroline Makes, with Ros being this month's host. As you might have guessed, this month's letter is K.



I'm also sending this over to the Spice Trail, hosted by Bangers and Mash, with the September theme being A Taste of India.

12 comments:

  1. Does it taste of curry?!?!?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha... it's the cardamom that does it! Strawberry curry.. yummmy!

      Delete
  2. Great looking kulfi - I love it but haven't made it in ages, I hope mine will taste as good as yours looks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'd never heard of it before, definitely one to try again!

      Delete
  3. I've not heard of kulfi before and it sounds delicious. I love the lovely pink colour of it. Thanks for entering AlphaBakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was so pleased the letter was K, I had a post all ready to go!

      Delete
  4. I don't really know what Kulfi is, but it looks really nice! Kinda like Angle delight though I imagine this is much much nicer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aghh, as I posted my last comment i saw that I'd put angle instead of angel! Angle delight doesn't sound tempting AT ALL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it really doesn't, unless you have an angle fetish?! Somebody who really enjoys maths?!

      Delete
  6. I've not tried kulfi but am intrigued by the pink peppercorns

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I've never seen strawberry kulfi before - it looks really good! loving the pics too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely adore kulfi but never tried strawberry kulfi before. It looks just beautiful and I can't wait to give it a go. A wonderful entry for this month's Spice Trail challenge. Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...