Monday, 17 February 2014

Gargantuan Rice Krispie Treats Layer Cake


This was the 'cake' I made for Mike's sister's birthday back in October 2013. Since I'd seen the recipe on the Pink Whisk earlier in the year, I had it in mind that it would be perfect for Louise. It was ridiculously over the top - it wasn't even a milestone birthday - but I thought that would just add to the appeal! Also, I'd been after an excuse to use the topsy turvy cake tins from Lakeland for a good while and this seemed like a good one for them.

True to the Pink Whisk awesomeness, Ruth had provided a handy chart of various quantities depending on the size/shape of tin you were using, which was such a massive help. I am really rubbish when it comes to adapting quantities to tin sizes! However it was at this point I think I realised just how big this cake was going to be. Two massive boxes of Rice Krispies were required! Really the scale of the thing should have been obvious when the recipe had suggested using giant plastic boxes to mix it all in...

It's a cake that really lends itself to crazy angles...
Rice Krispie treats really are the simplest things to make - you just melt the marshmallow and butter together, then stir in the Rice Krispies. The hardest part of the whole thing was lining the tins!  Also, Ruth wasn't joking in the recipe when she said to consider using plastic boxes for mixing the ingredients. I managed to do the top tier in the one pan, but the second took two batches and the biggest one took three. At the end of the evening I felt a bit lightheaded from all the sweetness... and unfortunately, also like I wanted to never see another Rice Krispie ever again.


I left the layers to set overnight and assembled them the following day after work, with renewed excitement! That was definitely the fun part! I liked the effect of the chocolate drizzled around the outside but I'm not sure if next time I'd be tempted to cover the tops completely in chocolate - I don't know if that would top it into way too sweet territory, but it seems I do like a good dollop of chocolate with my Rice Krispie cake.


The marshmallow flowers were great too - I didn't believe that the Smarties would hold on the chopped marshmallow, but they really did! The standard marshmallows from Asda were a bit too small so I'd had to get the super-huge American ones which did the trick, although they don't look as flower like as the originals. I'd ordered some button print ribbon from Baker and Maker (my new favourite website) to go around the bottom of each layer and was pleased that the Smartie flowers co-ordinated well with the buttons on the ribbon.


As you can see from the above picture, more than one pair of hands are required to disassemble it, plus several pieces of kitchen equipment and some brute force! The cake went down really well, although seriously, I know it's obvious but I cannot stress how much it is a LOT - and it goes further than a usual cake aswell because it's so sweet you eat less of it! Next time I will reserve something this colossal for large gatherings only... I'm not sure if any of use have eaten Rice Krispies since...!

6 comments:

  1. Wowser! :D That is a monster - in the very nicest possible way! I love how fun it looks; the flowers and the ribbon really finish it off. I just hope you aren't having rice crispy related nightmares now!

    Vicky xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had any for breakfast for a while, that's for sure! :)

      Delete
  2. A cool alternative to regular bday cake Kim! i'd be so worried it would fall.The pink whisk has some awesome recipes! i have lots bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I love the Pink Whisk and her instructions are so easy to follow too!

      Delete
  3. Waaaaaaah amazing! Who knew rice krispies could look so impressive. I bet you were finding bits round your kitchen for days afterwards, haha! The marshmallow flowers make a really cute cake topping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes I really was... not just the kitchen either, all through the house!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...