Saturday, 16 November 2013

Peaches and cream upside down cake


One thing I can't stand is throwing perfectly good food out, and I often have random eggs left over if I've bought a box to make a cake with. Since I detest eggs and will only interact with them in baking-related form (or pancakes on pancake day and even that is only under duress), they often find themselves dumped unceremoniously in the bin. As a result I will often look for random things to bake with a specified amount of eggs to use them up - which can be counter productive since I then inevitably have to go and buy more things...

Anyway, we were having my Mum round for a Sunday roast and I decided to try and find something desserty to make which could use up the 2 eggs I had hanging around in the fridge. I scoured my 'to bake' list and came across this Peaches and Cream Upside Down Cake from Laura Loves Cakes and decided this would be perfect as a dessert if I just made a single layer and served it with some whipped cream, and handily this would fulfil my egg objective aswell!

I halved my usual victoria sponge recipe - which I think is the much the same as the one that Laura used - and followed her instructions for the peaches. It was a lovely, fresh and light dessert, perfect for after a whopping great big roast.


Here's what I did...

100g caster sugar
100g butter
2 eggs, beaten
100g self raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp milk
2 peaches
85g light brown soft sugar
carton of whipping cream

1. Grease the bottom and sides of a sandwich tin and line the base with baking paper. Preheat oven to 190c.
2. Slice the peaches into eight, toss them in the brown sugar and arrange them on the base of the sandwich tin.
3. Mix together the caster sugar, butter, eggs, flour, baking powder and milk in a bowl and beat until smooth.
4. Pour the cake mixture over the peaches and smooth the top. Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown and springy when pressed.
5. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack - don't leave it too long, I think this cake is best enjoyed warm!
6. When you're ready to serve, whip up the cream and serve it on the side.



There was a little disappointment as the peaches and the sponge around them were quite pale and watery looking, I would have liked to have got a bit more caramelisation on them. Not sure what went wrong but it's happened to me before with fruit type cakes, I guess maybe there was too much juice on them? Anybody have any tips for fruit based baking?

I'm entering this into Calendar Cakes, the monthly blog challenge by Dolly Bakes and Laura Loves Cakes, and Laura is the host this month with the theme being 'desserts.' I know this isn't a classic pud, which to me would be something piping hot with custard, but we did have it for dessert so hopefully it counts!

9 comments:

  1. This looks delicious Kim, golden and perfectly baked. I would have loved a slice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat! Could have done with a bit more caramelisation, but that's just a good excuse to make it again ;)

      Delete
  2. Yum, you're upside down cake looks fab! I remember this one well...it tasted so good and it looks impressive too. Thanks for entering this month's Calendar Cakes :-) It's good it used up your eggs too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura and thanks for the fab recipe!

      Delete
  3. I love the way you look for recipes that require a certain amount of eggs. I'm the same but usually with other ingredients, I can't seem to buy enough eggs these days as I've been baking a lot. I think the cake looks pretty and I'm sure it was quite tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite a good way of deciding what to make as often I get overwhelmed so at least if you've 'got' to use something up it's a good way to help focus!

      Delete
  4. Upside down cakes always look so pretty. I can't remember the last time I made one! Not sure what advice to offer for the topping. Perhaps if you have left over juice from the fruit you could reduce it with some sugar to make a syrup to glaze the cake with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh YES, that's an ace idea! Thanks! :D

      Delete
  5. Hello my name is Francesca and I'm Italian. I discovered your blog by accident, looking for new things. I have joined your followers. If you go too foul. Thank you. Francesca

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...