Tuesday, 20 August 2013

Reese's Revenge - chocolate and peanut butter cake revisited


Back in July the theme for the Runcorn and Widnes Clandestine Cake Club was Independence Day Delights - I absolutely love Americana bakes so this was perfect for me, and the venue was brilliant - an American diner in Runcorn! Who knew such a thing existed?! Certainly not me, and I couldn't believe my eyes when I walked in to Rockwell's. Hidden away above a pub (I think?) it's packed full of in your face all American style with a pool table, pinball machines, statues, a car coming out of the wall and a couple of booth tables being made out of old Waltzers. Amazing!



I decided to revisit a cake that is something of a 'classic' in my baking history - the chocolate and peanut butter cake. I've busted it out a fair few times now - first created for my best friend's 30th birthday, it also appeared at Nic's Notebook's 30th, a food festival cake-off, and as a random commission for someone at my best friend's work. It had been a while though so I thought it was time to give it another outing.  That, and I am now something of a peanut butter fiend - in cakes and sweet things only though, brandish it at me on toast and I am likely to run a mile! Yuck.


It was basically the same deal as the other ones - chocolate sponge with peanut butter frosting, but I thought I had better try and jazz it up a bit with the addition of Reese's Pieces - sprinkled on top and also lurking in between the sponge layers, ready to surprise you with a crunchy PB hit! The rather military type circle of Reese's cups around the outside were a last minute panic - I usually cover the sides of the cake with the buttercream too, and then do a ring of halved cups around the bottom to finish it off (read: hide my sloppy frosting). For some reason this batch of frosting didn't seem to be stretching very far and I couldn't risk only being able to cover half the sides! I quite liked them though, I liked to think of them as a band of PB cup soldiers, with their fancy buttercream blob hats, protecting the Cake Castle from intruders!


Anyway, they didn't do a very good job of it, clearly....


It was a great cake club in a brilliant venue - check out the write up here to see all of the awesome cakes that were made. And yes, that Oreo Cookies & Cream cake was as crazily amazing as it looks! Can't wait to go back to Rockwell's and try the food now!

8 comments:

  1. Fab post come and check out my blog .....

    hahahaha ONLY JOKING!

    I love your choc peanut butter cake yum! Thanks for the links to cake club! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaaaa you almost got me there! :P

      Delete
  2. Wow Kim what a showstopper! This looks amazing! and I can only imagine how delicious it tasted too! How cool to have it at a diner too! I have to moved back to Bangor next year for my husband's final year. I hear the Conwy clandestine club I attended before has closed down so maybe I will have to venture to the runcorn one! especially after seeing all the delish treats that were whipped up! I'm still with you on running a mile from pb on toast despite loving it in baked goods though - weird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :D It was an awesome venue! Oh that's sad about the Conwy one but you definitely should take a trip to the Runcorn one, would be fab to meet you!

      Delete
  3. Wow this cake is brilliant! I love peanut butter and chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your PB soldiers with their buttercream hats, great idea, even if they weren't very good at protecting the fortress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cake looks fantastic, so original and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love chocolate and peanut butter too and this looks amazing!! The diner sounds really cool too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...