Wednesday, 1 May 2013

Easter Baking 2013


Again, horrendously late with posting about anything seasonal but for some reason I just cannot bring myself to post things out of the order in which they are baked! I was so late with this that I ended up writing the entire post, looked again at the photos and realised I'd forgotten an entire batch of cupcakes!

Easter weekend usually ends up being fairly busy and for the bits where we are at home I favour lying on the couch eating chocolate over slaving away over anything complicated in the kitchen! But this year I did want to force myself to try something new, so while I still knocked out the traditional favourites of Easter nests, chicks and mini eggs, I did try a new recipe too.


The new recipe was these Creme Egg cupcakes. My friend had sent me a link to the recipe and I knew I had to try them! I loved the idea of recreating the creme egg filling and was happy to discover another fab food blog at the same time! I just used the frosting recipe to go on top of my chocolate cupcakes. A strong lesson learned here was always buy decent food colouring! I thought Dr Oetker gel colours would do the trick but alas not. I'd already used most of the packet and still only had a very pale yellow to decided that would have to do! I also stuffed up the dual piping... I had bought one of the Lakeland dual piping bags but they just seem to be TINY! I rammed way too much frosting down one side first so couldn't get the other side in, I ended up scooping it out and abandoning the pretty frosting, going for spreading frosting on top and finishing with a dollop of the creme egg filling. I was a bit annoyed with it but once I'd stuck a mini creme egg on top it masked the botched job a little! Not quite the beautiful swirl of the original recipe but they tasted pretty good and I will probably have another stab at them next year, armed with better food colouring and lessons learnt in terms of dual piping bags!


So onto the traditional Easter favourites... last year I'd wanted to make something based on the hatching egg cupcakes I'd seen on Butter Hearts Sugar, but saw them too late and ended up making fairly rubbish ones out of Kinder eggs which were the only ones left in the shops by then. This year however, I was fully prepared and bought some smaller eggs in plenty of time and was happier with how they looked.


Easter nest cupcakes never fail to disappoint either, I can't see an Easter passing by without me making some of these! The chicks always end up strewn over the kitchen and I keep finding them in various places throughout the year.


2 comments:

  1. Your creme egg cupcakes look really good even if the "yolk" part isn't as vibrant as you had hoped. I feel your pain with gel colours though. I bought some from tesco and despite using the whole tub they barely coloured the batter. Lesson learnt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum...these all look fab...they're giving me cravings for a Cadbury's cream egg even though I gave up eating chocolate six years ago! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...