Friday, 12 April 2013

Not Cakes From Kim: Sweet chilli and tomato chutney



I LOVE chutney - chutney stalls are probably the second place you should look for me if you ever lose me at a food festival (cheese stalls being the first). I had high hopes of mastering the dark art of chutney making last year so everyone I know could have received jars of it for Christmas adorned with pretty labels and ribbons, but of course I didn't bother pulling my finger out and trying any recipes, so it was a chutney-less Christmas for all who know me! (I'm not even sure how many people I know would actually eat chutney but still, might have made a nice change from having cakes forced upon them...!)

So I had a week off in March and decided it was time to give it a go. I'd had this Pink Whisk recipe for sweet chilli and tomato chutney (a firm favourite flavour) bookmarked for a while which looked like a good place to start, having really good step-by-step instructions and handy photos, so off I went.


Well, I don't really know what else so say other than the recipe was super easy and BLOODY GORGEOUS. I was intending to make Ruth's recipe for tartlets to use up the chutney if I had to, but it all got gobbled down by us mostly as an accompaniment to chillis (though also lovely with cheese), and doled out around some friends and family who volunteered to take some off my hands after I posted a picture on Facebook - one of them even said she wouldn't mind a regular supply, which was great feedback!


You'll need to set aside a few hours, but most of it you just need to be hanging around keeping an eye on it, so it was a great excuse for me to sit guilt-free and watch back to back episodes of SATC which I am currently working my way through. I don't have any other hints or tips, because the recipe should tell you everything you need to know. If you're a chutney newcomer I can definitely recommend this chutney as a good place to start! We have just finished the last of this batch and so I am on the hunt for a new recipe to try - if you have any recommendations I would love to hear them? 

3 comments:

  1. Ah you're making me jealous as I've nearly finished the chutney I made at Christmas. It's a caramelised red onion chutney and tastes ridiculously good in a ham and cheese toastie. Here's a link if you fancy trying it: http://www.thecakehunter.co.uk/2012/11/christmas-countdown-gifts-caramelised.html

    I like your little cheese and cracker photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have sampled Kims chutney and can honestly say it is was so good that I have placed my next order with Kim. No more Waitrose chutney for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love chutney too and this one sounds delicious. I usually find they are even better if kept for at least a year before opening - or at least the ones I make. I've not tried a tomato one before.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...