Wednesday, 24 April 2013

El Gringo Margarita cake

This is a cake borne out of an obsession. An obsession with cheese....


Back in March, I was aware that a new limited edition cheese was on the horizon - the El Gringo, from the Cheshire Cheese Company, which was a cheddar cheese with tequila, lime and chilli, or to put it another way - the cheese of dreams. Normally, I can limit myself to buying 'special cheese' at food festivals only, but I knew I would have to get my greedy paws on the Mexican cheesy goodness as a matter of urgency.

Unfortunately for Mike, the El Gringo was released during a week off work, which meant I became obsessed with tracking it down (and also possibly temporarily insane) - ordering it online and waiting DAYS was just not going to cut it. Happily we discovered there was a food festival happening in Wigan where the cheese was to be available, so I forced Mike to drive us there and I obtained two truckles of the Mexican beast from Deano, the slightly bemused stallholder. Possibly the shortest trip anyone has ever made to Wigan, we were there approximately 24 minutes!

I feel that this photo captures the mood of the day!
So since I now had Mexican cheese, we had to have a Mexican evening, which meant nachos smothered in El Gringo, followed by chilli, followed by... well, what exactly? Apart from churros I really couldn't think of any Mexican desserts and my thoughts turned to cake... so I decided to make a cake based homage to my new obsession El Gringo, but swapped out the chilli for orange to make a margarita cake! I looked for a recipe, but didn't really see anything that caught my eye, so I decided to tweak this recipe for orange drizzle cake, make up some tequila buttercream and see if it would work.

It worked. Hurrah! I was really pleased with how it turned out. I was confident the cake would be good as the recipe was a cracker when I had made it in it's original form, and the buttercream went very well with it. I'm not sure I could identify the taste as tequila if I didn't know that's what it was, but it definitely gave it a different twist to usual buttercream.

 

I'd love to try this recipe again and make it into a more dramatic layer cake, as I feel that a tequila fuelled cake should look a bit more flamboyant somehow!

Here is the recipe, if you would like to try it yourself:

For the cake:
175g butter, softened
175g caster sugar
3 large eggs
Grated rind of 1 orange and 1 lime
175g self raising flour
2 tbsp milk

For the drizzle:
45ml freshly squeezed orange juice
30ml freshly squeezed lime juice
10ml tequila
100g granulated sugar

For the buttercream:
500g icing sugar
160g unsalted butter
50ml of tequila and freshly squeezed lime juice (I used 2 tbsp tequila with the rest lime juice)

1. Preheat oven to 180c and grease/line a 18cm deep cake tin.
2. Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and beat.
3. Add the orange and lime rinds, flour and milk and fold into the mixture.
4. Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake for 30-40 mins. A skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean.
5. Cool in the tin.
6. When cool, score or prick the top of the cake.
7. Put the fruit juices and sugar into a pan and heat until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to boil and boil for 1-2 mins, then pour over the cake. Let the juice soak in, then remove the cake from the tin.
8. To make the buttercream, mix the butter and icing sugar in an electric mixer until combined, then beat on a high speed for 5 mins. Gradually add the tequila and lime juice and mix until combined.
9. Spread the buttercream over the top and sides of the cake, and decorate with lime zest.



Disclaimer! This  post is in no way an advertisement, a sponsored post, or anything to do with the Cheshire Cheese Company. I just really like their cheese and felt that I should tell the full story behind the cake!

4 comments:

  1. That is commitment to cheese! I'm so impressed by your excited face. Someone told me about a cheese festival in Melton Mowbray at the Bank Holiday weekend, I bet there's some there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your cheese face and your dedication to cheese! That's usually my face when I stand in front of the sock section in topshop. The excitement can be overwhelming. Although not a tequila fan, I love the look of your citrussy cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like cocktails made into cakes - they just work soooo well. This looks a beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...