Tuesday, 30 October 2012

Mummy cupcakes


Considering that I LOVE Halloween, I have been shockingly poor on the Halloween baking front in the past. Two years ago I made some spider cupcakes and last year I made.... nothing. I think I get so caught up in buying tacky decorations and any kind of chocolate or sweets in the shape of witch hats or pumpkins with faces that I end up overlooking the baking (and being unable to justify more sweet things in the house).

This year however it is a different story! I have restricted myself to two bags of chocolate eyeballs from Tesco and therefore must force myself to bake. A couple of years ago Mike bought me the Lily Vanilli 'A zombie ate my cupcake' book and I decided to go for something from there. It's a great book if you love your Halloween baking, some of the stuff looks so realistic that it actually turns me a bit! - click here for a few examples.

I decided on the Monstrous Mummy cupcakes - I must admit I went for the simplest one because I had a bit of a bake-a-thon on my hands yesterday for a cake for Mike's sister's birthday (which will be making an appearance soon). I just used my basic go to chocolate cupcake recipe for the cakes and then mummified them to the max! Here's how...

30g unsalted butter, softened
300g icing sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
2 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp white powder food colouring
Red and black food colouring, or if you're lazy like me - red and black writing icing!

1. Beat the butter with an electric mixer until smooth.
2. Add in icing sugar, vanilla extract and salt and beat on low speed until combined.
3. Beat on medium until smooth.
4. Add the milk and powder food colouring and beat until light and fluffy. I must say that I had to add a couple of tablespoons more milk as the mixture was so stiff - it is meant to be very firm but this was a bit extreme!
5. If you're using red and black food colouring, set aside 2 tbsp of frosting for later.


Use a number 47 tip to pipe on the frosting, as you can see from the pictures - in layered lines going straight across the top half of the cupcake, then in diagonal layered lines at either side to leave a triangular shape in the middle. Colour the frosting red and pipe on two eyes (number 8 tip), then colour the spare 2 tbsp of frosting black for the pupils (number 4 tip). Or be lazy like me and use writing icing. I think it's probably worth doing it properly with the colouring/right nozzles though, if you can.


I'm entering these Mummy Cupcakes to the Calender Cakes October Challenge, hosted by Dolly Bakes this month and Laura Loves Cakes.
Next year I do want to push the boat out on the Halloween baking - I've seen some amazing bakes this year so far but I think my favourite was this Zombie Graveyard cake from Butter Hearts Sugar.

5 comments:

  1. I've got the same book too and was looking at this recipe. I've not done any Halloween baking yet after going all out last year but may squeeze it in tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great Halloween bake Kim. Is it appropriate to wish someone a happy halloween?? If so, have a good one ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of the a zombie ate my cupcake book...I'll have to check it out! Brilliant mummy cupcakes and perfect for Halloween! Thanks for entering Calendar Cakes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute, what a fun Halloween bake!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...