Sunday, 7 October 2012

Grandma's Gingerbread Cake

The theme for the Runcorn and Widnes Clandestine Cake Club in July was 'Inherited Indulgences' so I immediately knew I was going to have to bake something from my Grandma's cookbook collection, which I've blogged about before.

I also knew I wanted to make her ginger cake. It was always my favourite cake that she made, and it would also force me to find the recipe once and for all. Looking through her books before I hadn't seen anything I thought looked right and I thought that I would just have to make every gingerish cake I could see in the books, but on closer inspection, I came across a 'gingerbread' recipe that had a few tweaks scribbled on so I reckoned I had struck gold!


The recipe caused a bit of confusion -1 gill of milk and 1 egg reconstituted?!? Turns out a gill is 1/4 pint and a normal egg will do (I'm still not sure what a reconsituted egg is...). I had a practice go as I wanted to test the recipe out and run it past my Mum to confirm that it was the one. And it was!

It is a very plain and modest cake but packs a big ginger punch (depending on how generous your tsp of ginger is!), and is great with a cup of tea. It tastes even better the next day, too. It is also a good 'store cupboard' recipe - all of the ingredients are usually skulking away in my baking cupboard and since it only needs 1 egg is great for using up any lonely eggs!



4oz plain flour
4oz wholemeal flour
1 generous tsp ground ginger
4oz butter or margarine
1/4 pint milk
4oz golden syrup or treacle (I used golden syrup)
1 egg
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1.5oz brown sugar

1. Sieve all the dry ingredients (apart from the soda) into a bowl, and add the sugar.
2. Melt the butter and syrup together in a pan.
3. Warm the milk and mix with the soda (I didn't bother warming it myself).
4. Add the egg into the dry ingredients, followed by the butter/syrup, and the soda/milk. Mix together.
5. Pour into a greased and lined 8 x 10 inch tin and bake for 40-45 minutes at 190c.
6. Cool and cut into squares to serve.


I'm so glad I've managed to dig out this recipe - the parkin I made first definitely took me back to childhood but it was nothing on this one! I think it just goes to show the power of cake - I love how it can bring back memories and take you back to another time with just a whiff or a taste. I think my Grandma would have found it hilarious that I was taking her ginger cake along to a cake club to share with people - hopefully I did her proud with it.

6 comments:

  1. It looks yummy! I love ginger cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! I love hearing about other people's family history when it comes to recipes. A great looking cake too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely did her proud! A great looking ginger cake, I love hand me down recipes for the same reason. My aunty took round some of her freshly made drop scones (scotch pancakes) today and they tasted exactly the same as granny's, nice and fluffy. So comforting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous cake - a real 'cut and come again'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh at last a great one that uses everything I already have in!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...