Sunday, 23 September 2012

Mocha marbled loaf cake

Marble cake is one of my favourite cakes - when I was little we always used to get iced marble half moon cake from Somerfield - but for some reason I've never really bothered with making it myself.

I'd done a marbled mocha cake before and it was delicious so when I saw a recipe for a mocha marbled loaf in the August 2012 edition of Good Food magazine I knew it had to be made! Mike's boss has been giving us eggs from his chickens and so I thought I would give them back to him in cake form to say thank you.


Although the cake itself turned out lovely, I completely botched the white chocolate ganache. I've really no idea what I did wrong as I thought I followed the recipe to the letter, but it was runny and awful and full of little lumps of chocolate. For some reason I still dumped it on top of the cake when I should probably have left it off. This is why there are hardly any photos of this cake!


I think this is definitely one to save and eat the next day if you can, the flavour was much richer the next day.

250g unsalted butter, softened
250g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 large eggs
250g self raising flour, sifted
30g cocoa powder, sifted
2 tbsp milk
1 tbsp instant coffee granules, dissolved in 1 tbsp boiling water
2 tbsp dark chocolate chips

1. Beat the butter until creamy, then gradually beat in the sugar and vanilla.
2. Keep beating until light and fluffy.
3. Beat the eggs and add 1 tbsp at a time, beating well after each addition. Add 1 tbsp of the flour with the last two egg additions to prevent curdling.
4. Add the remaining flour and a pinch of salt and fold in.
5. Put half the mixture in a separate bowl, and add the cocoa powder and milk, and fold in.
6. Add the cooled coffee to the other half of the mixture and stir until combined.
7. Dollop alternate tablespoons of each mixture into a greased and lined 2lb loaf tin, scattering some chocolate chips in between each layer. Give the tin a couple of taps on the worktop to get rid of any bubbles, smooth the top, and then marble the two mixtures together by swirling a skewer through them.
8. Bake on 180c for 60 - 75 minutes until well risen and a skewer comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 20 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Now for the ganache...
100g white chocolate, finely chopped
80ml whipping cream
20g unsalted butter

1. Place the chopped chocolate into a heatproof bowl.
2. In a pan, heat the cream and butter until hot but not boiling, then pour over the chopped chocolate.
3. Leave to stand for two minutes, then stir until melted and smooth.
4. Leave to cool and thicken, then stir gently.
5. Spread over the cake and finish with a dusting of cocoa powder.

1 comment:

  1. I like how your cake has marbled. My last marble loaf cake didn't marble particularly well which was a shame.

    White chocolate has a tendency to split (I think it has something to do with it not actually contain cocoa solids) so maybe that's what happened? The last time it split with me I just kept on whipping until it came back together.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...