Sunday, 5 August 2012

Grasshopper Cake

It was Mike's birthday in June and his birthday cake is one of the most important events in my cake calender! I was a little disappointed with myself about his cake from last year, having messed up one of the layers, so I wanted to make sure I had something decent this year.

Can you tell what it is yet?
This Grasshopper Cake from The Pink Whisk had been firmly ensconsed in my bookmarks since March - as soon as I saw it I knew it was The One, since Mike is a big After Eights fiend. I knew it would be a labour of love, with a couple of different steps for the decorating (not my strong suit). The crumb coating of buttercream was a particular worry, with me not having much* patience I wasn't sure how that would go - especially as I couldn't really ask Mike to take over on this one (normally he steps in when I get to the 'I'm going to stab myself in the eye with the pallette knife' stage).

Anyway. The whole thing was a breeze! Really, it was. The recipe was great - clear and straightforward and friendly sounding, with handy pictures for the steps so you knew what everything was supposed to look like. The hardest part about it was having to dismantle the fridge to get the cake in to chill after the buttercream coating! (as I live in a hobbity house with a teeny fridge!)


Something I really struggle with is levelling cakes though, I can just about manage to cut off the domes but I never manage to get them properly level - this accounts for why this cake is hourglass shaped and leaning!

Structural complaints aside, the cake was absolutely delicious if I do say so myself. The chocolate sponge might well become my 'go to' chocolate cake recipe and it tasted great with the coolness of the peppermint buttercream and after eights. The other great thing was it rose so well - the cake was really high and the slices were HUGE. It didn't stick around very long at all. I don't see many mint chocolate cakes around, I think they are very underrated! Recipe is online here - I urge you all to try it!


 
*Any. Any at all.

9 comments:

  1. Ooohhhh I've been wanting to try this for a while so you have inspired me to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made grasshopper Brownies but not ever heard of the cake version before now. Must head to the kitchen ASAP. What a great birthday cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks and sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mint and chocolate is my very fave flavour combo! Your cake looked great, I didn't see the funny slant at all! but if you're worried you should let into getting a cake leveller tool, I bought mine from Hobbycraft a while back for pretty cheap and it makes cake levelling super easy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe I know the stab yourself in the eye stage, unfortunately the boy won't help me so I have to do a - melodramatic sit down, breath and chant "you can do this" to calm my self down. Haha. Sounds like a fab cake! You're right, you don't hear much about a choc and mint cake which is strange really. Hope he enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our family is not a big fan of mint and so I've not bake anything with chocolate and mint before. Now seeing your grasshopper cake, I think I should give this combination a try :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm rubbish at cake levelling too, I should probably buy one of those leveller tools. The cake looks like a massive success, I love your glossy icing.

    R.E. your macaron comment..... I had never tasted one before either! My theory was that I had nothing to compare them to, so surely I couldn't be disappointed(?!) Thankfully I wasn't, even though they were far from perfect. If you like meringues and almond flavours then you'll like macarons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally not what I should be looking at on the day I decided to get serious about losing baby weight...

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks amazing!! Happy belated birthday to mike. I've been wanting to make a grasshopper pie for ages but I may just have to make this cake instead.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...