Tuesday, 21 August 2012

Dr Oetker and My First Bundt

Dr Oetker recently sent me some baking products to try out and I received alphabet sprinkles, orange and lemon slices, cake release spray and easy swirl cupcake icing.


As soon as I got the cake release spray I knew it was the perfect opportunity to try out my bundt tin. The poor tin had been festering away in the cupboard for over a year and I've lost count of how many bundt blog posts I've commented on claiming I was going to try the recipe! I think I was a bit scared of it really, but now I had officially ran out of excuses! The orange and lemon slices meant I was going to go for a citrussy cake and where else to find a recipe but the Bundt Queen herself, Rachel of Dolly Bakes?!

I used Rachel's lemon drizzle bundt recipe which also meant facing another fear: whipping egg whites! With all the cakes I've made by now you'd think I'd be over it, but eggs really do freak me out. I used my nifty new egg separator from Lakeland which helped me avoid jiggling the egg about in the shell, but even that was mildly traumatic as I didn't like how the yolk sat in the bottom of the separator like some sinister yellow eye looking at me!

Erm, anyway.... apart from the addition of oranges, I followed Rachel's instructions to the letter. Basically any part of the recipe that called for lemony stuff I did 50/50 with oranges and lemons. I noticed that Rachel recommended Dr Oetker cake release spray also, and I gave the tin a good spritz and a dusting of flour as instructed. One 'pressure point' (I've been watching too much Australian Masterchef) was I was worried it wasn't going to rise, it didn't look like much mixture in the tin so I nearly wore a dint in the floor going back and to while it was in the oven checking it was rising! Rise it did though, first big sigh of relief!
Risen, drizzled and cooling!
This is how the waiting feels!
After pricking the cake and spooning over the yummy citrussy syrup, the second 'pressure point' was - am I going to get it out of the tin in one piece?! I've seen a lot of people say that the hardest part of a bundt is waiting, as you let it cool completely in the tin before turning out, and this is very true as I couldn't relax until it was time to turn it out. Luckily I had the Olympics closing ceremony to distract me. The time finally arrived and again I followed Rachel's instructions - run a knife around, plonk a plate on top, turn it upside down and wait for the drop. As soon as I heard it I could finally relax!

Aaaaaaaand relax
I decorated with the citrussy icing and Dr Oetker's orange and lemon slices. We barely waited for the icing to set before tucking in, and it didn't disappoint! It was deliciously light and moist with zingy freshness from the oranges and lemons. The entire rest of the cake was guzzled down in work the next day. I'm definitely been bitten by the bundt bug and I urge anyone who has been considering having a go to give it a try, and this recipe is a great place to start!






On to the other products I tried... I wasn't sure how I felt about the cupcake swirl icing, since I turn my nose up at any kind of short cut cake mix or ready made frosting, and it's not something I would usually use in my baking. Unfortunately after trying it out my opinion does remain the same - it was very artificial in smell and taste. The nozzle was quite small so it was difficult to do much of a swirl on regular sized cupcakes, however, I'm sure it would be fine for small swirls on mini cupcakes or brownie squares. I don't think it is something that any serious baker would or should use though. I decorated the cakes with the alphabet letters which I really liked, there was a good selection of letters and colours in the jar so no stressing over not being able to spell things! I also thought they looked cute just sprinkled on the frosting.


Thanks to Dr Oetker for letting me try these products - the cake release spray is a definite winner, especially for bundt cakes and other novelty type tins. Check out the full range of baking products here.

4 comments:

  1. Yay for bundt cakes and for Socks' appearance on your blog. Re the eggs - you really are quite strange you know, but that is why we love you haha xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bundts! yay for your first being such a success, I hope to see many more on here! that is a very nifty spray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bundt looks completely delicious...loving the sound of those zesty flavours an it looks really cute with the orange and lemon slices!! :-) A great first bundt!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your bundt cake! I love bundt cakes as they look great without any effort! I use the cake release spray too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...