Tuesday, 17 July 2012

Cakes Not From Kim: Lola's cupcakes

This the third and final installment in my Cakes Not From Kim mini London series! I was, for some reason, SO EXCITED about finding Lola's when we were in London. I have just loved Lola's from the second I got the book - I love the branding, I love the book and both of the recipes I had tried from the book were delicious (if you ignored the burnt tops of the cherry cupcakes, but that was entirely my fault!) and easy to follow. And there is so much more that I want to try from there!

The excitement had already built up because we had been in Harrod's and seen the Lola's concession stand in there, but I had forced myself to ignore it because I wanted to wait to see the place that was purely Lola's, and so we ended up walking from Harrod's across to Lola's at 16 Lansdowne Row, Berkeley Square, W1J 8QF.


It was even less conducive to eating in than the Primrose - there was just a bar with 3 stools, plus a few outside tables - and the drinks were all in takeaway cups. I didn't care though - it was empty and so we were able to sit down and enjoy!

There were so many cupcakes to choose from...


... but since one of them was an Oreo cupcake it was a no-brainer really!


Mike went for the black bottomed cheesecake cupcake, but weirdly he was more taken with the drink he had which was some sort of vanilla-y chocolatey milkshake type thing - so much so he went back for a second one!


Big thumbs up from me on the cake front - this was definitely my favourite in London although I was probably always going to say that! The thing that surprised me about the 3 bakeries I visited were that they were more geared towards taking the cakes out rather than eating in. I guess it's obvious because they are called bakeries rather than tea rooms / cafes etc, but I suppose since I don't live in a big city I'm more used to places being eat in, and places where you take away cakes tend to be the like of Sayers and Greggs!

6 comments:

  1. I love Lola's and I've just bought their key lime cupcake to try which I'm saving for tomorrow as it's bedtime now :) I didn't know they had a proper shop as I usually go to Selfridges - will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard much from Lola's as I don't have their book (this will probably be rectified soon!) Your oreo cake looks delicious, look at that buttercream swirl!

    Thanks for the link to the custard cream keyring! I'd like to make one as a necklace too (who wouldn't want a custard cream necklace?!) Also recently found you can buy cushions! http://www.nikkimcwilliams.com/product/custard-cream-cushion/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lola's looks awesome! We have to find time to visit in Sept hehe ??????? x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta love Lola's! and Oreo is my fave flavour too! My sister worked with them recently and learnt how to do their signature swirl with the frosting, I have to get her to pass on the info to me! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so jealous!!! I haven't had a Lola's in 2yrs. I'm dying to go to London - and wn I do my first stop is Lola's!!!! And I'm so gona buy the recipe book. I have bought cupcakes from all over the world, and I'm not kidding, none cum close to Lola's...

    I must ask tho, web baking them urself, does it taste the same?

    Lovies
    Sal - south Africa

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I originally commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now each time a
    comment is added I get three emails with the same
    comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service?
    Many thanks!
    My page > ikea furniture assembly service

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...