Thursday, 28 June 2012

Melting moments

After visiting the Primrose Bakery I felt inspired to make something from their book, which I had got for Christmas but not got around to testing yet. We were feeling a bit cupcake-d out and so I went for the melting moments since I was feeling in a biscuity mood, which is really quite rare for me!

I also need to work on my icing sugar dusting technique - bit clumpy!
The recipe seemed straightforward but I hit trouble when it came to shaping the biscuits. The mixture was too crumbly and dry and kept falling apart when I tried to shape it into balls. I knew it wasn't right but the recipe wasn't very helpful - there was no hint as to what the texture should be or what to do if it wasn't right. I'm sure to experienced bakers it's obvious but to me it isn't always!

After careful shaping, the balls were on the tray and I knew I'd definitely done something wrong when I saw I was meant to press lightly with a fork on the them.... a quick press on a couple led them to fall apart completely into rubble on the tray! By this point I really couldn't be bothered faffing so I just bunged them in the oven as they were and hoped for the best.

They were clearly too big and they took way over the cooking time. Really they were quite beastly and not the delicate little biscuits they are meant to be. Anyhow, I soldiered on and sandwiched them together with the custardy creamy filling and they actually passed the taste test - they did still have the melt in your mouth effect hooray! They were definitely too big though, I think they need to be bite size because they are so rich and buttery.


I will have to try making these again - I saw someone make them on Australian Masterchef this week and so I think I am going to pause the telly and write down her recipe as I'm sure I remember there being a perfect shot of it all written down neatly! If you know of a good melting moment recipe please let me know....!

5 comments:

  1. I've never heard of melting moments before! Is that bad?! The melting in your mouth and buttery part sounds fab. I need to get involved with these. I can't help with any tips but thanks for the introduction and they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's this..... biscuits? Have I converted you Kim? They're almost custard creams ;)

    I certainly wouldn't complain about the size. I tend to eat biscuits in multiples so one massive biscuit might tame my inner biscuit beast. Mmmmm, buttery melt in the mouth biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must have missed this recipe in the book as I don't remember seeing it. I made Viennese whirls recently which are very similar. I love the melt in your mouth texture and I'm pleased that yours passed the taste test :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm melting moments sound really good! I don't think being too big is a problem either! and I'm glad it all came together okay in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh they are beastly looking but in a fabulous way! Giant custard creams *drool*

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...