Wednesday, 27 June 2012

Cakes Not From Kim: Primrose Bakery

As part of my 30th birthday celebrations, Mike and I went away for a few days to London. Unfortunately, we must have picked the week with the most rubbish weather, as it pretty much rained the entire time we were there! It didn't deter us though and we had a fab time, visiting some of my old haunts (I lived down there while I was 19 until 21) such as Elephant and Castle, the Comedy Store, and Camden Market, strolling along the river (or more like hurrying along inbetween downpours...), wandering around Harrods and MnM's world (luckily we have photographic evidence otherwise we might have thought we'd accidentally done some drugs), and the part I was most excited about: visiting bakeries!

We visited the Primrose Bakery near Covent Garden - 42 Tavistock Street, WC2E 7PB. I immediately loved it; a happy corner of yellow which was very welcoming amongst the grey drizzle!


I was glad it was fairly quiet so I could peruse all of the lovely things on display.


Eventually I decided on the orange blossom cupcake...


... and Mike went for the lemon.


The cupcakes were delicious, retaining that home-baked feel aswell as being lovely and fluffy and light. I think this was Mike's favourite of the 3 bakeries we visited while we were down there (more to come!). What surprised me the most about them all was how they weren't geared up for people to sit in and eat/drink - they were mostly tiny and all had about 3 tables max. I suppose it should have been obvious given they are bakeries rather than tea rooms/cafes really! The Primrose Bakery was definitely the one most welcoming to sit in.


I felt inspired to bake something from the book when I got back home, but I will leave that for another post!

4 comments:

  1. So glad you got to visit some yummy bakeries on your visit! I do love the feel of Primrose too! I went for a trial shift at that very store a few weeks back, was planning to work there for the summer but unfortunately as we're moving abroad in September the timings weren't going to work out which was sad, it would have been awesome to work there but it was fun to take a peek behind the scenes! Can't wait to see which other ones you went to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm...looks delish!

    www.cancerinthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how pretty it looks in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I love the Primrose Bakery! I have both cookbooks and really want to go visit the actual bakeries! I'm actually hoping to take a trip to London and they will be at the top of my to-see list! I can't wait to taste the cupcakes. Your photos are great! Looks like a great trip!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...