Tuesday, 8 May 2012

Reese's cups birthday cake


My best friend's birthday is now always a reason to bake, but since it was her 30th this year I wanted to make something extra good! Since she is a big peanut butter/Reese's cups fan I decided to try to make a cake version of them.

After much internet scouring for inspiration, I decided to stick with my now failsafe chocolate cake (originally taken from Afeitar) and do some peanut butter frosting as follows:

115g butter, softened
260g smooth peanut butter
45ml milk
250g icing sugar

1. Beat the butter and peanut butter together until light and fluffy.
2. Gradually beat in the icing sugar.
3. Mix in a little milk a tablespoon at a time.


I sandwiched the cake together with the peanut butter frosting and then covered the cake with the frosting also. I then halved some Reese's peanut butter cups to line around the base of the cake. I had loads of ideas of how to decorate the cake, and was originally going to put some chopped cups into the swirls, but I got nervous and didn't trust myself (and also squashed the first few cups I tried to quarter!). So I decided that less is more and just blobbed some frosting around the outside with my trusty Wilton 1M nozzle, and iced her name on. Is it just me that doubts how to spell things when using writing icing!? Suddenly I lose all my confidence spelling words I've written my whole life!


I modestly hailed this cake a resounding success and the birthday girl also approved! I'm not hugely keen on peanut butter so I wasn't sure if I would like it myself, but because the cake itself was just chocolate it wasn't too sickly. I think cupcake versions of this would also be good! I've made this again since, so it will be making another appearance, I've got a lot to catch up on!

5 comments:

  1. I am going to have to try the peanut butter frosting, Manny loves peanut butter and cakes, so this is the ultimate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahem and what about my cake as well?????!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I absolutely love Reese's peanut butter cups and isn't peanut butter frosting the best! I'm sure your friend loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow I LOVE LOVE LOVE Reese's peanut butter cups - PB and chocolate is the best combination. Your friend is very lucky :) This cake looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cute - love the little peanut butter cups around the edge

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...