Saturday, 12 May 2012

Oreo baking: United Bakes of America!


After much comment-drooling over Oreo bakes I've seen on other blogs, when the theme for my first ever Clandestine Cake Club in February was 'All Your Favourite Things' it just HAD to be Oreo related. I don't know where my Oreo obsession came from, I'm not even really a biscuit person and even then I'm more partial to a Malted Milk or plain old Digestive!

Since it was my first one I decided to play it safe and use my trusty chocolate cake recipe (original here on Afeitar's blog) and then just Oreo it up to the max. I crushed up some Oreos and mixed them into vanilla buttercream for the filling, then covered with the buttercream and stuck some mini Oreos into piped blobbed flowers on top (blobbed flowers are fast becoming my cake signature!). I was really pleased with the effect and was quite happy to overhear some lovely comments from people at the cake club on how it looked!


I enjoyed the CCC, while it was really nerve-racking introducing myself to the group and wondering whether my cake would look rubbish next to everyone else's, it was lovely to meet up with other like-minded cakey people and discover a new venue. As the themes are quite broad, there was such a range of cakes to try that there would always be something for everyone! Plus you get to fill your cake tin up with cake to take home at the end, although I am in awe of anyone who can face cake for the week after the event as I certainly struggled!


Of course I had bought far too many Oreos than necessary so I decided to try another Oreo bake and had seen a few recipes where you stuck a whole Oreo in the bottom of the cupcake case before filling with mixture. After an online trawl for recipes I went with this Lorraine Pascale one and just added in the whole cookies at the bottom first. I was sceptical about how it would turn out but I have to say they were delicious! Loved the Oreo surprise waiting at the bottom and the cake/cookie combo was really nice. Definitely onto the make again list!


Thanks to Mike for restraining himself for long enough for that last photo to be taken! He doesn't take too kindly to his cake consumption being interrupted!

I am entering these Oreo cupcakes into Cupcake Crazy Gem's United Bakes of America challenge! If you're baking any American recipes or with American ingredients this month you have until the 30th to enter!


8 comments:

  1. These look great - both the cake and the cupcakes. I've not tried baking with Oreos yet (I somehow don't think they'd survive in our house long enough) but do love the cookie at the bottom of a cupcake idea, so will have to try that at some point. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I absolutely love Oreos, it's one of my most baked with ingredients and your cake and cupcakes both look so tasty! Which Clandestine Cake Club did you go to? I'm going to my first one at the end of the month as part of the Conwy group :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I love the idea of the hidden Oreo at the bottom - genius! You have a truly inspirational blog - I want to bake everything right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A girl after my own heart :) First the Reese's PB cups and now oreos - one of my absolute favourites!! I have at least 16 oreo recipes on my blog currently!! I love the oreo cupcakes with the cookie at the bottom - your cakes look delicious - I would have been over the moon to see this at a cake club and would definitely want to take some home!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to try those cupcakes... could do with one now!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What cute cakes...I love the fact that there's an oreo lurking at the bottom too, waiting to take you by surprise!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely bakes Kim! I really like the photo with the oroe at the bottom of the cupcake, such a great idea. I still need to get round to baking with oreos.

    I can't believe you're not a biscuit person though. It upsets me a little. Not even a custard cream?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...