Thursday, 2 February 2012

My first giant cupcake

I was really excited when Find Me A Gift asked if I would like to review one of their cupcake gifts - I've been hoping I'd get an opportunity to try out doing a product review at some point and when I saw that a giant cupcake mould was one of the possibilties, I was in! I've been wanting to try a giant cupcake for a while now especially since after seeing all of the beautiful ones on the Nom! blog so it was great to have an excuse to try it.


I was a little disappointed in the packaging, if I'm honest it does look a bit cheap (which it is I guess, £9.99 but I noticed it's been reduced since Christmas) and I didn't think the picture on the front was particularly appealing. But what matters most it's what's inside, right?! And the silicone moulds themselves seemed good quality, no different in texture and thickness to my silicone loaf tin mould. They come with a filling insert, although I didn't use this, deciding it was better to keep it simple. As far as I can work out you put slightly less mix in the bottom than you normally would, and sit the filling insert on the top to create a 'dip' to put the filling into.

The recipe was the bit I was most worried about. My first attempt didn't go well - I followed the Primrose Bakery's instructions to use one quantity of their victoria sponge recipe, but this wasn't nearly enough. Although they did rise, attempts at a smaller scale giant cupcake were abandoned when it came to turning the cakes out, as most of it stuck to the moulds!

Back to the drawing board, and I figured I'd need about 1.5 quantities of victoria sponge mix. After some internet scouring I came up with a basic recipe. With excessively greased moulds, a bit longer cooking, less time cooling in the tin and a mahooosive dollop of patience and care - the beasts were out in one piece and I was breathing a huge sigh of relief! The patterns from the moulds didn't come out as well on the top part but this didn't bother me too much as I knew I'd be slapping on the buttercream anyway.


Now, what I should have done at this point was level the cakes off - they weren't too domed so I thought I could get away with it, and I was so paranoid of them falling apart I didn't really want to start sawing away at them! Unfortunately this next photo shows why this was a bit of mistake:


To decorate, I whipped up a double batch of Primrose Bakery buttercream and coloured half red (or more realistically, a kind of dirty pink). The base was completely covered in the plain buttercream, and then I placed the top half of the cake on top and slathered the red(ish) buttercream all over. As you can see, I had gone for a seasonal Valentine's theme, so Haribo jelly hearts and Love Hearts were deployed to try to get the effect of a heart patterned case and sprinkles. After this I decided to try to fill the gap between the layers with buttercream, and ended up making a bit of a mess with the buttercream escaping down the sides (it was quite runny buttercream!) - but despite being messy it definitely looked more like a cupcake having the two layers meeting (more flattering camera angles help too!)


Although I was proud to have managed to assemble and decorate it without it (or me) collapsing, I was still a little ashamed of the end result! I felt it looked a bit childish, which I suppose wasn't helped by the slightly cheap looking colour of the buttercream and the uneven cake layers/botched job on the buttercream.

Even though it was a bit disappointing looks-wise, the cake was surprisingly easy to cut and was actually quite nice! The buttercream was a little sweeter than I would usually do it, but because the cake slices were pretty chunky it ended up being balanced OK. I took most of it to work and everyone was surprised by how light it was, having expected a much heavier cake given the size.


My basic giant cupcake recipe:

340g butter, softened plus a bit extra for greasing
340g golden caster sugar
340g self raising flour
6 eggs, beaten
2 tsp vanilla extract

1. Grease the moulds well (I mean seriously well) and place them on a baking tray. Preheat oven to 180c.
2. Beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl until light and fluffy.
3. Sift in the flour, add the eggs and vanilla extract, and beat until smooth.
4. Tip about 2/3 of the mixture into the base mould and the remaining 1/3 into the top mould (the moulds should be about 3/4 full).
5. Bake for 1 hour until risen, golden and firm to the touch. A skewer inserted into the centre of the cakes should come out clean.
6. Cool in the moulds for 10 minutes and then carefully turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
7. Sit the cakes on top of each other to check if any levelling is needed!
8. Whip up a batch or two of your favourite buttercream and decorate as desired.

Overall, I was pretty happy with the mould. The one I used is available online here. I know you can get giant cupcake tins aswell, and I do usually prefer tins - my silicone loaf tin gives a bit of 'side bulge' which did occur here, but it's less noticeable because this is iced. Having said that, you have to be so careful getting the giant cupcake out of the mould and the silicone made it easier to jimmy the knife about and get a feel for where bits might be sticking.

I'd definitely recommend giving the giant cupcake a go - it is fiddly and faffy and a bit scary in parts but, I don't think you lose anything on the taste. Even though I'm a bit embarrassed by my decoration, the faults are things that can hopefully be rectified with a bit of practice - plus even if it's not technically perfect you can win back points for novelty value and ginormous slices!

48 comments:

  1. I have seen these and wanted to try it. Thanks for the recipe.

    www.cancerinthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww no need to be embarrassed I think it looks fab! Bet Mike liked the ginormous slices hehe x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine always turn out a bit of a mess! I did learn to grease and flour them well and it's been ok since. Love your Valentine theme :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it looks really cute with the jelly sweets and love hearts!

    By the way I've nominated you for a Liebster Award. You'll find information on my page: http://whatdoyoumakeofmycake.blogspot.com/2012/02/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, that is so cool, love it, so have to learn to cook properly!
    Great to discover you through Jo at what do you make of my cake.
    Will look back at your cakes now to inspire me.
    Congratulations on award! Becca x

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW thats massive i love it !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh it looks lovely, very nicely decorated! I'd love to have a go at making a giant cupcake - someday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a giant cupcake mould but haven't used it yet! Your giant cupcake looks lovely.

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really cute...I haven't attempted a giant cupcake yet but I want to! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was with a friend when I first tried on the giant cupcake and we too made the mistake of thinking no level off was needed. However they still taste nice! I love the haribo hearts, that's a really cute idea. I like giant cupcakes too but I think they might be just too much of a faff to me! good job x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to say right now I'm giggling at my laptop!!

    I can't say much though as I'm to scared to try my giant cupcake moulds (which are the same as yours BTW)!! LOL

    When I do pluck up the courage I'll definitely level mine off after reading this.

    xx Kat xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, used your recipe to make giant cupcake. Things were going well. Cakes came out of the oven, left to cool and came out of moulds beautifully and that's when problems started :( I made up buttercream icing and iced cakes after completely cool. The cake looked brilliant (even if I do say so myself!) I went to slice a piece this morning and some of the buttercream had slid to the bottom of the cake. Despite cake looking good it tasted really dry :( I don't know what I've done wrong as I followed your recipe to the letter and was perfect consistency when came out oven. Anyone have any ideas? Yours now a very frustrated baker :( :( :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Anonymous - aww, I'm so sorry you had a dry cake! If the ingredients were all spot on then the only thing I can suggest is that maybe your oven temperature is a bit high, maybe try taking things out 10 mins earlier than the recipe suggests and doing the skewer test? Do other cakes turn out dry though or was it just this one? In terms of the buttercream - mine was pretty runny too for this although it didn't slide overnight, but maybe your kitchen was warm or something? Either way glad it looked brilliant for you at least :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have had my silicone mould sitting in the cupboard for over a year after picking it up in a sale. I love baking, but have been a little scared to try this as it also came without a recipe. It's my daughter's 8th birthday in a couple of weeks and she spotted the mould and asked me to make one for her party. I think a trial run is in order this weekend! Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh please let me know if you tried it, and how you got on!

      Delete
  15. Instructions were great thanks, just made this on first attempt for my girlfriends birthday, im a 19 year old dude, so cheers, i just went for around 180 - 160 temps and just made up my own times, Thankyou! and it tastes great, the texture is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fab, so glad you liked it and hope your girlfriend did too! She is very lucky to have a bloke who bakes!

      Delete
  16. Thanks for the recipe, I'm going to try it out tomorrow with my silicone mould! Fingers crossed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant! Please do let me know how you get on!

      Delete
    2. Brilliant recipe. For my first time, I was very pleased with how it turned out! I used a cake release spray too for the first time, which I found to be much more worthwhile than trying to grease the moulds by hand. Thankyou!

      Delete
    3. Hurray! Thanks so much for stopping by to report back, so glad it worked out for you! Since I did this recipe I have discovered the wonders of cake release spray and would definitely use it in future instead, way easier and more efficient!

      Delete
    4. Thanks! Not sure how i put my name on these posts as it keeps coming up with anonymous! (I'm the one who tweeted you my cupcake) :) x

      Delete
  17. hi would it be same recipe but with cocoa powder for a chocolate one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I'm only just replying now. It's probably too late but yes, I guess take out a few tablespoons of flour and replace with cocoa powder. If you tried it, let me know how you got on!

      Delete
  18. Thank you, I've had the mould in the cupboard for ages but the recipe book that came with it just said to use 2 boxes of bought cake mix so I've been looking for a 'proper' recipe. I baked the cake last night for my baby girl's first birthday today - it was fab and went down a storm!

    I used gas mark 4 for an hour but it wasn't cooked on the bottom so I turned it down to 3 for another half an hour. I was told to use cake release spray with this mould because it's a nightmare to turn out but I didn't have any so I thoroughly buttered and floured the inside and it turned out very easily. It was very crisp on the top but I just cut it off when I levelled the cakes. Sandwiched and covered with pink buttercream, white chocolate fingers lined upright around the bottom half to look like the cupcake case, and dotted with marshmallows and pink chocolate buttons.

    I wish I could post a picture, it was a triumph!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds fabulous! I love the idea of chocolate fingers to make the case, I'm stealing that idea for next time :) So glad it worked out. Email me a picture if you can, I would love to see!

      Delete
  19. It looks really goodd. My mould just got delivered today, just in time to 'attempt' to make it in food technology on tuesdayy... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow you're making a giant cupcake in food technology?! The only things we ever made were pizza and lasagne, not fair! Let me know how you got on if you tried it!

      Delete
    2. It went ok, part of the top fell off and had to be 'glued' with icing and it was a bit burnt. Thanks so much for the recipe I couldn't have made it without finding this!

      Delete
  20. I am going to try this out has I have had no look in the past and my daughter wants one for her 10th birthday. Heres hoping it works and thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it turned out OK! Let me know if you can :)

      Delete
  21. I just tried out your recipe for my first attempt at a giant cupcake and I'm really pleased with how it came out! Its for my best friends birthday tomorrow and I'm so excited to give it to her. Wish I could post a pic on here to show you lol. Thanks for the tips, it really helped!
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw wow so happy that you're pleased with it! Email me a pic if you can, I would love to see! :)

      Delete
  22. I have just followed the recipe above, I have the exact same mould, it is currently in the oven....I'm keeping my fingers crossed, it's for my son's 14th bday today! Lol. X
    Thanks for the recipe. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exciting! Will keep my fingers crossed too! Let me know how it turns out and send me a pic if you can! Hope your son has a lovely birthday x

      Delete
  23. Hi I'm trying the giant cup cake recipie for the first time tonight, it's been in the oven for just over an hour and not quite cooked on the bottom yet. Can't wait to have a go at icing it and then taking it in to work for cake o clock!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi I'm trying the giant cup cake recipie for the first time tonight, it's been in the oven for just over an hour and not quite cooked on the bottom yet. Can't wait to have a go at icing it and then taking it in to work for cake o clock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh how did it go?! I like the sound of cake o clock!

      Delete
  25. I'm giving this a go on Friday in preparation for Mothers Day, i to have had the mould for a year and haven't tried it yet so reading everyone else’s comments has spurred me on a bit. I like the idea of lining chocolate fingers around the edge i was wondering what i would do for the bottom bit but that sounds great. Wish me look!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the sound of chocolate fingers around the bottom! Hope it went well, please report back! :)

      Delete
  26. hi im baking the giant cupcake for my boyfirends birthday fingers crossed they come out good.. wish me luck and btw ur cake looked lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! Would definitely recommend piping the icing on in swirls or something rather than my sorry attempt! Let me know how you get on :)

      Delete
  27. I am trying this recipe today. I'm making a cake for my grandson's 5th birthday. I will report back on how it turns out - wish me luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh good luck! Look forward to hearing how you get on :)

      Delete
  28. thank for the recipe.ive made several attemps to use diffrent recipes to make giant cupcake but never cooked in the middle.sooooo frustrating .im going to use your recipe thank you .wish me luck lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! Please do let me know how you get on! :)

      Delete
  29. Hi going to bake this for my grandson's 14th birthday. Has anyone used the insert and if so do you still need the same amount of batter. His birthday is in two weeks so I have time to practise.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am making this for my grandsons 14th birthday. Has anyone used the insert and do you need the same amount of batter? His birthday is in two weeks so I have time to practice.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...