Friday, 18 November 2011

Ice cream cupcakes


OK so I know these are completely unseasonal, but I wanted to make something for Mike's sister Louise's birthday that was a little bit different to your standard cake or cupcake. I had seen ice cream cupcakes on a few blogs in the past and thought it was a really good effect so decided to try them out. For some reason I had it in my head that I would have to bake them normally then just place the cupcakes in the cornets... but after a quick google I found a recipe that was actually in a book that was sitting on my bookshelf - the WI Celebration Cupcake book. Turns out you can just bake them in the cones!

I followed the recipe given in the book and have to say it wasn't one of the best tasting cupcakes (but whether or not that was because it was in a cornet, I don't know!) - so I think next time I will try it with my usual cupcake recipe. It was pretty difficult getting the mixture into the cornets as they were quite tight - I used a teaspoon, which took a lot of patience (something I am not known for having!). So I won't post the recipe and would just say follow your go-to cupcake recipe - they didn't take any longer to bake. I was pleased with how they came out, as I was worried about them not rising enough or rising too much, but there were only a couple I had to lop a bit off from.


Now for the fun part! A batch of buttercream was whipped up and piped on for the ice cream effect. 

 4 Flake bars were cut into 3's and used for the Flake - sticking them in was tricky as I wasn't sure if they would hold as the buttercream wasn't that deep - but they stayed up.


I used strawberry ice cream sauce for the topping and then sprinkles.


These were actually the test batch that I made up so here are the ones we actually gave to Louise.


Nice use of kitchen towel for the presentation I know... can't believe I didn't actually think how we would get them to her, since they are too tall and unstable to be put into any tubs/tins, so had to get a cupcake box with kitchen towel to try to hold them in place. They were still wobbling about all over the place though, so it was a bit of a stressful journey (especially when we had to pick up pizzas on the way too!). They arrived intact though and went down well.

I'll definitely be busting these out again in the summer, I loved the ice cream effect although it did mess with your mind a little bit to eat them - I was so expecting the ice cream flavour even though I had baked the things myself! Next time I'll try out my cupcake recipe instead of the one in the book - but even if you might lose a little bit on taste, I think it's worth it for how cute they look.

9 comments:

  1. These look lovely and make such a beautiful gift. Am glad they arrived in one piece. I had a lot of trouble transporting mine too. Love your idea - will have to borrow it in future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to try these! they look awesome..

    www.cancerinthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made these before and just use my normal cupcake mixture! They are lots of fun to make and yours look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww they are really cute! Glad they survived their journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, those look amazing and so delish!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun idea! I must admit I hadn't thought about baking them in the cones, I also assumed you'd bake the cupcakes separately.

    By the way I've just tagged you in the Food Bloggers Unplugged game. If you fancy taking part here's my link http://whatdoyoumakeofmycake.blogspot.com/2011/11/food-bloggers-unplugged.html :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are brilliant! I've booked this as really want to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous - did the cone stay crisp when you baked the sponge in it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look delicious! I've been meaning to make these. So creative :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...