Tuesday, 29 November 2011

Food Bloggers Unplugged


Woo hooo! I was recently tagged for Food Bloggers Unplugged by the Hungry Hinny and Jo from What do you make of my cake? - thanks ladies, I was seeing more and more entries popping up and hoping to be able to join in!

1. What, or who inspired you to start a blog?
When I started baking I was taking pictures of the stuff I'd made anyway, and had started a Baking album on Facebook already to keep a record. I'd dabbled with blogging a bit in the past and after I finished uni I was out of work for a while and had the idea to start up a blog about it just to pass some time really and keep a more detailed record, then it just kind of grew from there!

2. Who is your foodie inspiration?
I'm not sure - I don't even know what kickstarted my desire to learn to bake (although I suspect 3rd year procrastination)! I'm still building up my collection of cookbooks and trying new things so there isn't anybody in particular I can pinpoint (other than BBC Good Food!). I love reading other blogs so in terms of inspiration at the moment a lot of it comes from other bloggers as it's probably through blogs that I find the most things I want to try.


3. Your greasiest, batter - splattered food/drink book is?
I don't really have one! I do have a recipe binder though that is getting very splattered, it's full of magazine clippings, printed off and scribbled down recipes from a whole variety of places. I've yet to find any one particular book that I use a lot.


4. Tell us all about the best thing you have ever eaten in another country, where was it, what was it?
I'm notoriously bad when it comes to eating abroad as I'm quite fussy and paranoid - I like to know what I'm eating! So I'm never very adventurous, but a pizza I had at a place called Le Collier in Antibes sticks out in my mind - it was mahoosive (literally I could have draped it over my head, cut out some eye holes and it could have been a balaclava) and at the time was just the best thing ever because I could devour it without worrying what was in/on it! Also, Scotland is technically another country and the fish and chips we had at Anstruther a few months ago were the best fish and chips I've ever had.


5. Another food bloggers table you'd like to eat at is?
Some of the most stunning and fun looking cakes I've seen are from Butter Hearts Sugar and the Buttercream Bakery although a lot of it just looks too perfect to eat! I am a bit of a Pink Whisk girl aswell. All the blogs I read have such droolworthy stuff, I want to sample them all!

6. What is the one kitchen gadget you would ask Santa for this year (money no object of course)?
I am notoriously bad with gadgets; many cannot believe I will beat cakes by hand rather than using my shiny Kitchenaid. If money is no object I would have to get a whole new house/kitchen of my own (I currently rent) with loads and loads of cupboards and worktop space, a giant fridge/freezer and a larder and one of the those island things in the middle. And cake tins and baking trays of every possible measurements so I would never have to stress about them again!

7. Who taught you how to cook?
Nobody really! I used to bake with my Mum and Grandma when I was little, but the recent baking frenzy is just recipe following. But every time I add in eggs to the mixture I hear my Grandma's voice in my head saying "make a well for the eggs"!

8. I'm coming to you for dinner what's your signature dish?
My signature baking dish is probably really dull and I would have to say just plain old vanilla cupcakes or victoria sponge. They are the only thing I've made time and again as I always want to try new stuff, so they are the only thing I can make with any sort of confidence! Cooking wise my favourite thing to cook is chicken, potato and green bean curry.

9. What is your guilty food pleasure? 
Baked beans out of the tin, or even better... out of the fridge! I looooove extra cold baked beans. I don't think I have ever met anybody who wasn't sickened by this. On a more socially acceptable level, beetroot out of the jar! Or just CRISPS. Lots of CRISPS.


10. Reveal something about yourself that others would be surprised to learn?
My all time favourite bands include The Ataris, The Offspring, Alkaline Trio, Blink 182, Green Day... some people seem to think my main musical tastes are at odds with the tea dress wearing, cake baking person I often am today.

Finally...tag 5 other food bloggers with these questions...like a hot baked potato...pass it on!

1. Maria at Goddess' Kitchen

2. Astral at The Art of Being Perfect

3. Kara at Butter Hearts Sugar

4. Natasha at Cooks Cakes and Bakes
5. Anne at Anne's Kitchen

If any of you lovely ladies want to take up my tagging, you can link your entry here and through #foodbloggersunplugged on Twitter

7 comments:

  1. The baked beans thing is just so wrong! I don't like them at any temperature, but extra cold is extra wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Extra yummy!!! I've got half a tin cooling in the fridge as I type :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Hun! I love these things, maily because I'm a bit nosey. I'll definitely take part when I have a sec. Also I always eat a couple of spoonfuls of cold baked beans straight from the tin when I open it, it may be wrong but it's also so right! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi and glad you took part, thanks. I am also pleased to see another pizza eating Pink Whisk fan...but the cold beans...its a no from me! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must admit, I rather like cold baked beans too! I also have an unusual taste in music considering my likes/hobbies. I love heavy rock such as Kyuss, Soundgarden, Clutch and Dozer. It's fun to surprise people though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best Times Square pub, bar, restaurant and carvery in Irish area. All men and women are most welcome in the moment or for hours where they can get generous drink.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Urgh baked beans lol horrible things! One thing I have never managed to enjoy! Beetroot out of the jar...well now I forgive you! ;-)

    Have very strange mental images now of pizza balaclavas!!

    Music is a very personal thing and dependent on mood I think - I am a *huge* Take That fan but at the same time I love Guns n Roses and er the opera!

    Thanks the tag, was good fun to do my post!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...