Saturday, 22 October 2011

Apple & Walnut Cake: The Pink Whisk's October Baking Challenge

I've been going apple crazy this month and so when I read about The Pink Whisk's October baking challenge it was great to have another excuse to try out an apple based recipe! I thought about making something involving chunky apples but then thought I would have a stab at an actual appley cake - I don't have the best track record with fruit in cakes so this was a bit of a risk!


I found a recipe for Apple & Walnut cake with treacle icing on the BBC Good Food website (where else?!) and thought it sounded interesting - I wasn't sure how I felt about treacle/cream cheese frosting but decided to give it a whirl.

The cake....
300g plain flour
1tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
140g dark brown soft sugar
50g golden caster sugar
250ml rapeseed or sunflower oil
4 eggs
3 apples
100g walnuts, chopped

1. Preheat the oven to 150c / gas mark 2, and grease/line two 20cm cake tins.
2. Put the flour, cinnamon, bicarb, and sugars into a bowl, and stir together.
3. Grate the apples (unpeeled) and add in along with the oil and eggs.
4. Beat together, and then fold in the walnuts.
5. Spoon into the tins then bake for 45 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean.
6. Cool in the tin for a few minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

The icing...
100g butter - softened
50g dark soft brown sugar
1 tbsp black treacle
200g tub full fat soft cheese

1. Beat all the ingredients together, and then chill in the fridge until spreadable.
2. Use half the mixture to sandwich the cakes together, then the rest to top.
3. I sprinkled some cinnamon and some left over walnuts on the top to decorate.


This cake was hailed a hit, Mike enjoyed it (but of course!) and I deposited slabs of it with my best friend, my Mum, and Mike's parents - all of whom said it was yummy! I wasn't sure how the treacle would taste in the topping but it really gave the cake a different twist and a bit of a tang. It was lovely and moist aswell.


Next time, I will have to let the butter soften more as I was left with little lumps in the icing that I just couldn't shift, which didn't make for a good look... also I would add a more hefty dose of cinnamon, as you couldn't really taste it in the cake so I would have liked a bit more of a spiced flavour to it. My one other whinge was that my icing wasn't as light as the one in the original recipe... not sure if it was the butter I used or if I just didn't beat it enough, but I just didn't think it looked as appetising somehow!

There's still almost a week left to get your apples out and whip something up for The Pink Whisk's challenge - check out the details here, there are some great prizes up for grabs!

11 comments:

  1. Kim, I'm drowning in apples at the moment and what a perfect excuse to to join this baking challenge!

    Your cake looks so delish :)

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Anything apple, walnut and cinnamon flavoured is a winner in my book! Have never heard of treacle in cream cheese before, I'm intrigued! To get a super light, soft icing it needs to be beaten for aaaages. I usually aim for about 5 minutes with my mixer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good! Great flavour combinations. I love the BBC good food website too. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm...that looks awesome!

    www.cancerinthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would really like that I think! The Hummingbird book says you need to beat icing with cream cheese in it for at least 5 mins to get it nice & fluffy!! I'm hopefully making my apple creation for dessert 2nite :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This cake looks delicious! I'm just about to post my apple recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This cake looks gorgeous, I'm on an apple kick too, made a delicious caramelized apple and walnut cake yesterday very similar to this one. I love autumnal bakes and all of yours have been looking gorgeous. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok that is so weird that last comment did not link to me...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks fantastic and such a nice deep sponge as well. Must try the treacle icing, sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha- I too have Good Food as my go-to website for all recipes, at least as a starting point if nothing else! What a lovely, Autumnal bake!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Treacle icing! The whole cake sounds delicious and seasonal.Definitely try out your bundt tin, they're great

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...