Sunday, 11 September 2011

Cupcake Decorating!


Way back when in July, I headed up to Liverpool with Nicola and Bec to learn how to decorate cupcakes. This was through a bargain Groupon offer with Create, which was another birthday present from my lovely boyfriend (although I am sure he has some ulterior motive for sending me on all these cake courses... hmm wonder what it could be?!).

After a brief panic, we found the Cupcake Workshop tucked away among the back streets of Liverpool, a little bit of cake heaven beautifully decorated with gorgeous crockery, bunting and lots of PINK! Our instructor, Gill was friendly and approachable and not to mention knowledgeable about all things cupcakes! She shared her expertise on how to bake the perfect cupcake before some tutorials on sugarpaste including stamping out decorations, making bows and flowers, and then let us loose with her equipment. Everything was provided for us including all the tools, cutters, and colours of sugarpaste and glitter that you could possible need.

After a quick break for a cup of tea and a yummy homemade cake, we were shown various different techniques on icing cupcakes with buttercream. This was the bit I was most looking forward to as I am not the best at this (and am known for throwing a strop when Mike wafts in and effortlessly pipes a perfect buttercream swirl!). Sounds really obvious but I hadn't even thought to pipe a mini swirl in the middle as a base to get the height on the main swirl.

Rose style piping

Then came the really fun part! We were given 12 cupcakes of our own to decorate using our new piping skills and sugarpaste creations, all boxed up in pretty cupcake boxes. We were also given some fillings and shown how to get these into the middle of the cakes. Again Gill and her sidekick Rachel were so accommodating, making sure that everyone got the colours and equipment they wanted so we could be as creative as we wanted. I stuck with the plain buttercream and felt very boring once I saw what everyone else had done! My whole box of creations is at the top of the post, but I think these were my favourite ones:

I really would recommend this course to anyone interested in baking and cake decorating - even if you already know what you're doing, it's great to spend an afternoon playing around with sugarpaste and creating your cupcakes and I'd love to do another one myself. Check out Nicola's blog about the day aswell which includes lots of photos of the venue itself, and if you're interested, visit the Create website to find out more about Gill's courses.

Since the course I've felt a lot more confident with decorating my cakes, here are a couple of batches I've done recently:
Cupcakes for Mike to take to work

Cupcakes for Mike's Mum's birthday buffet

Can't wait to get my hands on some sugarpaste and practice more of my new skills! Thanks Gill!

8 comments:

  1. wow they look wonderful! I will have to try and find a course round here like that!! My piping is not great and I just end up with a big mess!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look awesome. I am in to baking as well and I am taking a decorating course as well next month. I am so excited!

    www.cancerinthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great day out. Love the flowers and sprinkled dipped ones the most, so petty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look really good! Did they advise you on the best piping bags/nozzles to use? I really want to get good at cupcake decorating too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!!! I still have to buy the proper sized nozzle she told us too! I haven't piped since the class so I've prob forgotten it all haha x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cupcakes are looking really pretty! I really like the rose piping. Sounds like a fun, girly course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cupcakes look lovely. What a fun day. I know I need help in this time - I can't even use a piping bag.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the ones with the little ring of red flowers - so pretty

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...