Wednesday, 6 July 2011

Chocolate & Caramel Layer Cake (minus a layer)

After the Sausage Dog Cake I felt like I didn't want to bake again for about 6 months! But the week after it was Mike's birthday and so I couldn't not make him a birthday cake, and I had already selected this Chocolate & Caramel Layer Cake from BBC Good Food ages ago to make for his birthday - at just over 1,000 calories a slice I thought it really could only be justified on a special occasion! So I was doomed to spend another Friday night immersed in the sickly sweet smell of chocolate cake.


I had high hopes for this, and although I was happy with how it looked all assembled, but really, it just went a bit wrong. I was a bit skeptical about the recipe as I have tried cakes before that include yoghurt and somehow they just never seem to come out normal. Sadly this was no exception, after almost double the time in the oven the vanilla layer was burnt on the outside and wobbly in the middle, and in any case, collapsed completely when I tried to take it out of the tin! So that was one layer down and a quarter of the calories gone! I had a bit more luck with the caramel/caramel choc layers but I still wasn't completely convinced they were done properly even though they were on their way to burning, but with no time to make anything else I decided to assemble the cake so at least the birthday boy could blow out some candles and make a wish!


After much scrutiny and debate we did eat the cake although I only managed half a slice as I just couldn't really face any more chocolate cake! Everyone else seemed to enjoy it so I don't think it was as much of a disaster as I had feared, plus the chocolate icing was yummy and despite being one layer short it was still pretty big and pretty messy!


The recipe is here. Does anyone have any similar experiences with yoghurty recipes? I would love to hear any tips or ideas of things to do differently, as I see quite a few recipes including yoghurt and am quite put off trying them again. Looking at the reviews of this cake on the BBC Good Food website nobody else seems to have had a problem, and I'd love to try this again but as it's not a quick and easy bake I'm a bit apprehensive... and at 1,000 calories a slice it's difficult to justify making it for no reason!

11 comments:

  1. 1000 calories, shocking! It looks delicious though, definitely worth the calories. I've made lemon yoghurt cakes a few times and haven't had any problems with them. Try leaving the cake to cool in the tin, and pop a tinfoil hat on top if it's browning too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    I made this cake last month (its the one on my blog with a big lion on top!) and it turned out ok - i actually added extra yogurt to the chocolate layer because the mix seemed too dry!

    I'm not an expert but I think it helps make the cake a bit more dense - so the bottom layer can take the weight of the 3 on top?!

    Like Aveen said, maybe put foil on top if it's going too brown too quick...

    Good luck with future yoghurt cake adventures!

    HH

    ReplyDelete
  3. It look pretty damn good to me. I'm a big fan of using yogurt in cakes since I discovered Greek yogurt. I've found it helps the cakes to rise and keeps them nice and moist - nothing worse than dry cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha imagine if he'd eaten the whole cake surely he would put on a heck of a lot of weight?! I think it's our oven's fault for our baking disasters what do u think? Still think it looks pretty good - I wouldn't have turned down a slice or 2 :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it great how what we think of as disasters are things that people still usually love? I'd have eaten it gladly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no it's so sad when a cake doesn't go to plan. It still looks yummy though. I tend to put a layer of greaseproof paper on top of the cake it's going too brown (same effect as tinfoil I suppose). 1000 calories, yikes! Sometimes it's good to indulge though :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just came across your blog and had to comment cos your cakes look so scrummy! Loving the look of this chocolate cake although never used yoghurt in a recipe yet. I keep thinking i must try it sometime and see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yuuuuuuuuuuum. Oh, and I'm supposed to be starting my diet tomorrow... ahh!

    x Michelle | thefeatherden.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1000 calories a slice! PHWOAR! What a great birthday cake, looks so tasty! Shame about the yoghurt though, I have personally never tried yoghurt in chocolate cakes but I have tried sour cream and I was advised to put foil on top to prevent burning. Everybody's ovens are different too and sometimes the temperature can be a bit off so maybe get an oven thermometer?

    Glad to see that all is well with you!
    Natasha from The Rambles and Shambles blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That cake looks sooo good! I'm drooling right now over all that chocolate. Yummmmy! ;)

    xo katie elizabeth
    ohheyylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...