Sunday, 29 May 2011

May Bake It Club: Lemon Meringue Cupcakes



I've been wanting to do the Bake It! club again pretty much every month since the last time I did it in November but every time the recipe went up I thought it looked great but always found some reason why it didn't happen. When this month's recipe of Lemon Meringue Cupcakes went up I thought it would be the same, since meringue is something I have been trying to hide from, but since I had 4 eggs left over from last week I took it as a sign that I should face my demons!

These were so quick and easy to make, but for some reason my cupcakes sank in the middle! I really didn't understand it - I had put the oven on to my usual cupcakes temp of 180c but after 15 minutes they didn't look anywhere near ready... then I left them in too long and I thought it was going to be a complete disaster. They tasted quite nice though and as they'd been in too long they had a sweet crust on the top which I actually quite liked!

So I ploughed on and made my meringue, which was a great excuse to try out my electric mixer which I got for Christmas and hadn't yet used (I'm such a tech-phobe, I am still beating everything by hand...). After a horrendous experience trying to separate the eggs myself I was sure they wouldn't whisk properly but eventually the meringue formed. Here they are pre-grilling...

...and post grilling...
I haven't tried any after the addition of the lemon curd and meringue topping since I am not a huge fan of meringue, but Mike assures me they are lovely despite being rather over done! I was planning on giving out the rest to family today but that is if I can prise them out of Mike's hands! Get the recipe here to try them yourself!

9 comments:

  1. well the meringue pretty much hides the sunken part, and anyway the cupcakes still look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another one succumbs to the curse of the lemon meringue cupcakes lol..! At least yours didn't sink quite as much as mine?! Can't believe you're still beating things by hand - I love my mixer esp for creaming butter & sugar. Your meringue looks well :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look great- I love the idea of meringue on top of the cupcakes-I'll definately be making these! I too had a gagh!-the-cake-is-sinking-in-the-middle! moment a couple of weeks ago...As it was a full sized cake I cut the middle out and pretended it was all part of the masterplan ('no, the hole in the middle is supposed to be there! Honest!')

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a love hate relationship with meringue but really like the look of these, especially with lemon in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look wonderful and the meringue is perfect!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The meringue looks perfectly cooked, very yummy! When I made the same cupcakes I found it difficult to get the meringue thoroughly cooked, but it looks like you've got it down to a tee!x

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look yummy, thanks for joining in. The sinking cupcakes is still a mystery but I'm pretty sure it's to do with the variation in oven temps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your beautiful meringue swirls

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...