Thursday, 5 May 2011

April Round Up and Kreativ Blog Award

Good heavens, where did April go?! This year is just flying by! Just thought I would do a quick round up of what I made in April - nothing was particularly inspiring or exciting, but since I want to document everything I make it's only right to include them (even though I'm dying to rush on to my next post, but patience, patience!)

Firstly, my mum's birthday on the 9th meant a second outing for the Marbled Mocha Cake

since my Mum is also a coffee cake fiend (there is a lot of them about!). It was exactly the same recipe but this time decorated with chocolate curls and Maltesers. It was just as good on the second run, and I felt the marbled effect was more apparent, but I don't know what I did differently - perhaps was just less enthusiastic with the skewer!
Secondly, was Easter. I feel quite sheepish posting my Easter bakes since I have seen so many gorgeous Easter bakes that are in a completely different league to mine. If I'm honest, I was quite lazy - I mostly wanted to chill out over the long weekend(s) and spend less time in the kitchen, so I played it safe.

I had a huge bag of cornflakes left over to use up so went for classic chocolate cornflake nest cakes. I ummed and ahhed about whether to just simply mix melted chocolate with cornflakes but ended up using a recipe including golden syrup and butter. The first batch was made with plain chocolate and I did a second with milk chocolate - the milk chocolate batch were definitely better! A lot less sharp tasting - I struggled to eat the dark chocolate ones.

I also made plain vanilla cupcakes and decorated with buttercream, chocolate eggs and chicks. Again really simple (and the same as last year) but I wanted a big failsafe batch to give as Easter treats for my parents and in-laws.

After seeing what lovely things others had created I definitely have some bookmarked to try out next year. Hopefully Easter will be a bit earlier as this year I was already caked and chocolate-d out after the barrage of birthdays in March/April.

And then finally, THE WEDDING! I had such big plans for a baking extravaganza and had intended on making 3 types of cake plus scones, but in the end I ran out of time so the scones didn't happen, and I ended up just doing some patriotically decorated vanilla cupcakes and the old faithful pineapple upside down cake. I did a bit of an afternoon tea buffet for my Dad and family and so I thought it added to the slightly retro feel. Unfortunately we didn't get any pictures of our union flag adorned living room, or any of us in our posh wedding frocks/suits (my dad stole the show in a sequinned union flag tie!), but here is one of the table!

In April I was also nominated for the Kreativ Blog Award by Natasha from Rambles and Shambles - thank you! I was so chuffed with this especially knowing how many infinitely more creative bloggers there are out there, and with that I am going to do my blog award duty and nominate 7 bloggers - in the creative spirit of the award I'm going to choose some baking blogs / bloggers who bake that inspire me (and fill up my bookmarks folder!):

1. Natasha at Rambles & Shambles (back at you! Is that allowed?! Recent favourite: Easter Rabbit Cupcakes)
2. Chele at Chocolate Teapot (Recent favourite: Strawberries and Cream Scone cake)
3. Kara at Butter Hearts Sugar (Recent favourite: Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes)
4. Maria at The Goddess's Kitchen (Recent favourite: Lemon Meringue Cheesecake)
5. Ruth at The Pink Whisk (Recent favourite: Tea Cup biscuits)
6. Helen at Afeitar (Recent favourite: Malteaser cake)
7. Nic at Nic's Notebook (Recent favourite: Red Velvet cupcakes)
8. The Caked Crusader (Recent favourite: Royal Wedding baking)

OK so I couldn't possibly restrain myself to 7 and I had to pick 8! If I've nominated you, please don't feel inclined to do this aswell, but I just wanted you to know that I love reading your blog and am grateful for you sharing your creations!

6 comments:

  1. I shouldn't have looked at this post before breakfast!! That cake is making me want chocolate cake lol.
    Thanks very much for the award too ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the award! Would love to have seen a pic of your Dad's tie, sounds fab! I think all your bakes look great, I was planning on making some cornflake buns with mini eggs on top & I bought a big massive bar of Dairy Milk, but guess who ate it all (Gary!!) haha...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Mocha Cake looks so delicious with that amazing looking frosting! Love your Easter bakes and the vanilla cupcakes are so pretty.

    Thanks so much for the award, well chuffed!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh that mocha cake looks heavenly, its 2 in the morning and now I need (really really want) chocolate cake.

    Thanks very much for the award!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your easter creations look so cute and wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What are the like-egg things on the second picture?

    Overall I am interested in those cakes. Hm.. yummy...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...