Tuesday, 15 March 2011

Toffee and Apple Sauce Muffins

I'd been itching to try out some of the recipes in my new Eric Lanlard - Home Bake book since I bought it from the book club in work for the bargain price of £6! Everything looked so yummy that I had a hard time choosing, but these toffee and apple sauce muffins had got me drooling so I went with them.

They turned out fine but my recipe and measurements were a bit of a disaster. I didn't have any Calvados - apparently this is an apple liqueur but since I knew I'd probably never used it again I didn't want to buy a whole bottle for 2 teaspoons, so I just added 2 extra teaspoons of water. In hindsight I perhaps should have got some apple juice instead. So I wasn't sure on my apple sauce - in the recipe it says that the sauce should be the same consistency as the muffin batter but my sauce was very thin and batter very thick, so I don't know if that was the lack of liqueur or whether I just didn't cook it properly! Also I didn't have any full fat milk, I didn't have enough fudge chunks and I had to use 2 and a bit medium eggs - so I was pleasantly surprised when these were actually quite nice!

They were definitely best straight from the oven and I loved the crunchy cinnamon tops. I was disappointed that I never noticed any of the fudge (probably cause I didn't have enough) and the sauce again was a bit thin so kind of just disappeared when they were cooked. I think we preferred them the next day turned upside down and doused in custard, they made a very nice Sunday dessert!



For the apple sauce:
300g Bramley apples
100g soft light brown sugar
1tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp Calvados

For the muffins:
275g plain flour
100g caster sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
75g unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
125ml full fat milk
100g fudge (in small chunks)
2 tbsp cinnamon sugar (which is 2 tbsp soft light brown sugar mixed with 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon)

1. Peel and core the apples and cut into small cubes. Place in saucepan with the other sauce ingredients and 1 tsp water. Cook over a low heat until the apples are tender but not mushy. Leave to cool.

2. Preheat oven to 200c/gas 6. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases.

3. Sift the flour, sugar and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.

4. Beat the butter and eggs together then add the milk. Stir this into the flour mixture along with the fudge, until just incorporated (it's OK if the mixture is a bit lumpy).

5. Spoon half the mixture into the cases then spoon over 2/3 of the apple sauce. Cover with the remaining muffin batter. Make a swirl of apple sauce in the top of the batter and dust with the cinnamon sugar.

6. Bake for 20-25 mins then cool on a wire rack.

7 comments:

  1. They do look lovely! I don't know what to bake for when my mum's over - she'll be leaving fat!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh they sound lovely with the custard on - great idea! I know what you mean about buying a big bottle of something for a teaspoonful - I have so many bottles and jars of random things which I have no idea what to do with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These do look lovely, Kim - I especially like the idea of adding chunks of fudge.
    Calvados is apple brandy (from Normandy in Northern France). I do agree with you about buying whole bottles for a small amount, especially in this case as it would be very expensive. I recently made an apple cake which included cider and think you could use that in your muffins or, in fact, just use a little ordinary brandy.
    hopeeternal
    'Meanderings through my Cookbook'
    www.hopeeternalcookbook.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy, how good do they look! Thanks for the reminder too, Santa left this book for me on Christmas Morning but I've also not baked anything from it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like they still turned out lovely - mmmm fudgy pieces sound tremendous. I could go a big bowl of custard with a couple of these muffins dunked in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look good, and great idea to turn them upside down and serve with custard for dessert - everything is better with custard ;-)

    I've had mixed success with this book too....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not keen on fudge but I would bet I would like these hot with ice cream or cream mmmm

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...