Thursday, 10 March 2011

Pancakes


I'm sure by the time I'm posting this everybody will be sick of reading about and thinking about pancakes (I know I am!) but since I'd never made them before I had to wait until after the event to share my pancake recipe.

Yes that's right - I'd never made them before! I only remember having them for a couple of years when I was younger as my Mum doesn't really like them, and to tell the truth I'm not really a huge fan either... I always like the idea and the look of them but since I'm not big on eggs it always puts me off a bit (eggs in cakes are OK obviously, they are a lot less egg-like!)

I had bought a Pancake recipe book from Asda as it was only a quid, but I ended up using this recipe from Ruth at The Pink Whisk for the 'main course' pancakes which seemed a lot more straightforward and I liked her instructions! Sadly I didn't manage to flip any of them, I had a go but ended up giving up and using the spatula, boo! We had ours with sugar and lemon, of course.


Now for the dessert! This recipe I did use from the cheapo Asda book and I was a bit more excited because there were no eggs involved.


These were chocolate chip pancakes with chocolate sauce and strawberries. They were more American style pancakes and were lovely, but very rich and sickly! I should have done what I did with the normal pancakes recipe and halved it - 12 of these bad boys was way too much for 2 people! Although I have to confess I did like the idea of having a massive stack of them on the plate. Plus the strawberries made it one of our 5 a day...

Makes 12

For the pancakes:
125g plain flour, sifted
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp sugar
pinch of salt
250ml milk
75g dark chocolate, grated
veg oil, for frying

For the sauce:
75g dark chocolate, chopped
125ml double cream

1. Put the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, sugar, salt and milk into a bowl and beat to make a smooth batter. Set aside to rest for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, melt the chopped chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Once melted, remove from the heat, beat in the cream, and keep warm while you make the pancakes.
3. Stir the grated chocolate into the pancake batter. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a frying pan and drop in the mixture - about a tablespoon will be enough for each pancake (allow space for them to spread a little). Cook them for 2 minutes or until bubbles start to appear on the top, and then turn them over with a palette knife and cook for another 2 minutes.
4. Stack them up on a plate, surround with strawberries and pour over the chocolate sauce.

Now try and eat them all! We couldn't quite manage it....

10 comments:

  1. Hi Kim, greetings from California. My name is Mario and I wanted to say thank you for adding me as a friend on UK Foodblogger. So far, I love everything I see and read about on your blog. Let me know when you start shipping worldwide. I write a blog on love and relationships told through stories of Food and Recipes. And sometimes vice versa. Please visit my blog when you get a chance, Maybe leave a comment, Or maybe Follow. That would be awesome.
    http://mangiawithmario.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chocolate pancake recipe is amazing! I'm not sick of pancakes yet to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I was sick of pancakes.... until I saw that gorgeous pile of your chocolate ones, that sauce and the strawberries! What a tempting idea for this weekend. Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could never be sick of pancakes, love them!! We had lemon & sugar ones and nutella! I had 4 I think but wanted more lol.. Those choc chip ones look amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chocolate. Pancakes!!!
    White. Chocolate. Sauce!!!!!!!!!!!
    Please post you pancake recipe earlier next year lol. Wish I had some of these right now .... be back in a bit ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea of the no egg chocolate pancakes, will have to give thoose a go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh I made such a pig of myself on Tuesday! Golden Syrup and Nutella!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look wonderful, are they more like sponge? Yum yum yum

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I'm going to have to have pancake day all over again I think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm those chocolate pancakes look lovely! I love american style pancakes. I had sweet potato pancakes, the recipe is on my blog now :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...