Thursday, 3 March 2011

Marbled mocha cake

I previously blogged about my failsafe Cappuccino cake, which had always been wolfed down at the speed of light when I baked it in the past, but I struggled to get rid of the last time I made it. I mentioned that I'd found a similar recipe that would probably replace it as my 'go to' recipe for a quick and easy cake for any occasion.... and here it is!


The Marbled Mocha cake.

I ripped this recipe out of the BBC Good Food 2011 calendar and had immediately decided to make it for my best friend's birthday this year. She loves coffee cake and I thought the addition of chocolate could only add to the enjoyment! It's very similar to the other cake in both ingredients and appearance, but with just the added faff of making two mixtures to combine (a small price to pay though for the yummy coffee-chocolate combo though!)


There wasn't as much of a marbled effect as I'd hoped, but it was lovely and moist and you could really taste both of the flavours.


There it is among the slightly retro buffet I made. I've gone a bit buffet mad recently, every time somebody comes over I immediately think, 'Oooh, I can do a bit of a buffet!' I'm a bit annoyed that I didn't really think through sticking the candles in, so they aren't very even, and I think it looks slightly like the Millennium Dome!

You will need:
225g/8oz soft butter
2tbsp cocoa
2-3 tbsp instant coffee
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
225g/8oz golden caster sugar
225g/8oz self-raising flour
2tsp baking powder
4 eggs

For the coffee frosting:
2 x 250g tubs mascarpone
86g/3oz golden caster sugar
4tsp instant coffee dissolved in 4tsp boiling water

1. Preheat oven 180c/gas 4, and line bases of 2 buttered 20cm sandwich tins.
2. Mix the cocoa with 2 tbsp boiling water in a medium bowl until smooth. In a cup, mix the coffee with 1 tbsp boiling water, and then add the vanilla extract and stir to dissolve.
3. Put the butter, sugar, flour, baking powder and eggs in a large bowl and beat until smooth.
4. Spoon half the mixture onto the cocoa and beat well. Flavour the remaining mix with the coffee.
5. Spoon alternate dollops of mix into the tins and tap sharply to level. Run a skewer through the mixes to marble them together. Bake for 25 mins or until set and springy when touched.
6. Cool for 10mins in the tin, then complete cooling on a wire rack.
7. For the frosting, beat the mascarpone with the sugar and coffee until well mixed. Sandwich the cakes together with some of the frosting, then spread the rest on top. Decorate with chocolate coffee beans or other chocolately topping.

So this is my new favourite cake recipe (apart from Victoria Sponge, obviously!) which I will call upon when I need something yummy and reliable!

Do you have a failsafe cake recipe?

9 comments:

  1. Haha, I have to say I did think of the Millennium Dome when I saw it! Why has mocha cake never occurred to me before? Coffee and Chocolate - of course. Think this might be my Dad's Birthday cake this year! Love your buffet too, haven't had party rings for about 20 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fab and I bet it tastes even better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh it looks fab - I think I would def like this, anything with choc in it suits me well lol! I adore party rings, they have gotten so small tho :( Have a great weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cakes looks really lovely. Tall candles always looks so nice
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum ... any chance you could pop a slice in the post for me? I've just finished a 30 min run so could do with a chocolate fix ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so yummy! I love coffee frosting! From Natasha at www.theramblesandshamblesblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It didn't just look yummy it tasted yummy! I'm lucky to have you as a best friend.... now will I get some new home baking goodies? hehehe xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. how did your pancakes go btw? :)
    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  9. I *love* mocha cake, is definitely one of my favourite cakes! Yours looks so delicious too, I really like the stars on it, are they also chocolate?

    My failsafe is lemon drizzle cake: http://anneskitchen1.blogspot.com/2008/10/lemon-drizzle-cake.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...