Friday, 25 March 2011

Blondies with peanut butter

This was the second of my peanut butter recipes from last week and is also the second yummy recipe I have tried from Eric Lanlard's Home Bake book.

I think I left it in slightly too long - gave it an extra ten mins as it seemed a bit too wibbly when it came out of the oven and I am a bit obsessed with things being undercooked. I only really got to have a little taste of these - had already OD'd on Snickers muffins so the rest got given away as extra housewarming goodies for my best friend, Mike's family, and Nic's Notebook. But what I did try I liked - they were a lot lighter and sweeter than normal brownies - so they are definitely going on the 'make again' list and I think I will hog them all for myself next time!

Here is the recipe, and this time I actually remembered to take pictures as I went!

You will need:
100g unsalted butter, softened
150g crunchy peanut butter

1tsp vanilla extract

175g caster sugar

1 egg

75g white chocolate
75g walnut halves

125g plain flour

1tsp baking powder

melted dark and white chocolate, to decorate

1. Preheat oven to 170c/gas 3. Grease and line a 20cm square tin with butter.
2. Beat the butter and peanut butter together until creamy, then add the vanilla, sugar, and egg and beat again until light and creamy.

3. Chop up the white chocolate and walnuts, and stir in to the mixture.

4. Sift the flour and baking powder and fold in to the mixture.
5. Spoon into the tin and smooth the top.

6. Bake for 40mins until there is a golden crust but it is still fudgy in the middle.
7. Leave to cool and then decorate by drizzling melted white and dark chocolate across the top.

OK so my drizzling skills leave a lot to be desired! I've been using a spoon and it either comes off the spoon in blobs or lines that are far too thin, grr! If you have any good drizzling tips, please leave a comment and let me know :)

ETA: this is now my entry for Sweets for a Saturday! Head on over to Lisa's blog to see all the other entries.

10 comments:

  1. Your drizzling looks pretty good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look tasty Kim! Glad to know I'm not the only one who wants to make sure things are cooked through properly!

    Drizzling - yours looks great to me, and I find white chocolate hard to work with, but if you want a more even line, melt the chocolate, put into a little (disposable plastic) food bag and snip off a tiny corner with scissors. Start with a tiny snip and if it's too thin, snip off a bit more until you're happy with the thickness of the line. As I say though, I find white chocolate difficult as it seems to stay too thick to drizzle well and dark choc sometimes seems too liquid - if this is the case allow it to cool a little. I'm not the world's best drizzler of chocolate, but hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right ... really must get this book off the bookshelf and bake!! These look a mighty fine place to be starting ;0)
    C's way of drizzling is the way I do things too. White chocolate can be a bit of a pain but I think your drizzling looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, those look tempting with all that chocolate on top. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your blondies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum yum they were sooo nice! Am def going to make them myself soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just made these for a future blog! I didn't decorate mine, too greedy and wanted to start eating! They are absolutely delicious aren't they? I can see them being a regular feature in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look beautiful - I have that book but am yet to bake from it. Love the choccy drizzle on the top!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this book on loan from the library, I may have to try these! Look so yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh lordy lord this looks absolutely delicious I may have to use this recipe at some point this week!
    I've given you a Kreativ Blog award btw. Check out my blog to find out more about it!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks very yummy! I love blondies and brownies, but sometimes I feel that blondies are pushed aside for the brownies. cute blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...