Tuesday, 7 December 2010

Blogvent Day 7: Gingerbread cupcakes with clementine buttercream


Mmmm. I realised the other day it's been ages since I've made any cupcakes, and since it also feels like ages since I baked anything that I would love to eat myself, I decided to treat myself to some gingerbread cupcakes.

Also it is finally a recipe that is not from some sort of BBC outlet! I found this one in the December issue of Good to Know Recipes - which I must say has loads of great Christmassy recipes for baking and food in general that are all really straightforward and look quite simple to make (perfect for me!).

Anyway, these tasted really nice and festive - just the addition of ginger and cinnamon to a normal cupcake recipe gave them a good kick, and you could really taste the clementine tang in the buttercream - yum! However, eating just one icing star turned Mike's teeth and tongue an alarming shade of blue!

The recipe for these cupcakes can be found on their website here. It's all self explanatory but my one top tip - which is probably really obvious to everyone anyway - is that after piping the icing, wait until it has hardened slightly before shoving the icing star on, otherwise this happens...

What a sorry sight that is! Anyway, that's also probably to do with the fact that I only had a hulking great big star cutter to use, instead of the little dainty ones used in the original recipe!

I also used some glitter star sprinkles from Lakeland and did some with sprinkles only. We ended up feeling like that ones with just the sprinkles looked the best, and I feel like sometimes, less can more with cupcake decoration... what do you think?

3 comments:

  1. These sound veeeeeery nice indeed. Recipe noted down and hopefully will find time to make them. Really wish I had a piping set, I have to make do with just throwing the icing on top and hoping for the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a recipe v similar to this yest...where was it???.......... OH - on a recipe leaflet in Tesco! Not sure if it was gingerbread, but it def had clementine icing! I def like the little silver stars the best - so cute! PS - Your piping looks great :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the perfect icing swirl! Yum ;0)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...