Saturday, 4 December 2010

Christmas Baking Carnival / Blogvent Day 4: Florentines


Florentines are another great Christmas gift idea and are so quick and easy to make, which is definitely helpful at this manic time of year! They are also great for something to have in the house for any guests that drop in during the festive season!

There are loads of different recipes floating about on the web but the recipe I settled on was from Cupcakes and Small Bakes - they are just like cornflake cakes with a bit extra really! As I can't find that recipe online anywhere, I will post it below:

Makes about 25
85g/3oz cornflakes, crushed
85g/3oz toasted flaked almonds
50g/2oz dried cranberries
50g/2oz glace cherries, sliced
397g can condensed milk
140g/50z milk chocolate, melted
140g/50z white chocolate, melted

1. Preheat oven to 180c/160c fan/gas 4 and line a few baking sheets with baking paper.
2. Put the cornflakes, almonds, cranberries and cherries into a bowl and then stir in the condensed milk until all the ingredients are sticky.
3. Spoon about 25 tablespoons of the mixture onto the baking sheets, leaving space inbetween them for spreading. Flatten each one slightly with the back of a wet spoon.
4. Bake for about 12 minutes until golden brown.
5. Cool on the sheets for about 5 minutes and then transfer them upside down to a sheet of baking parchment, and leave to cool completely.
6. When cool, spoon or brush the melted chocolate over the bases of the biscuits and then leave to set.


I think they look really pretty and festive all bagged up and tied with ribbons - I'm definitely going to be doing some more batches of these to give as gifts this year. Hopefully I will get chance to try out some of the alternative Florentine recipes too!

This is also my entry for the Cherished by Me Christmas Baking Carnival - a lovely blog I have just discovered thanks to Nicola! Can't wait to see what yummy things everyone else has baked!

Christmas Baking Carnival

2 comments:

  1. I always remember my Granny having a tin of freshly baked florentines when we called round - yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm, they look delicious.....plus my son can have them if I use gluten free cornflakes so that's brilliant!
    Thanks for joining in. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...