Friday, 24 December 2010

Blogvent Day 24: Finished Gingerbread House!


Hurrah! I'm so pleased to be able to share my first gingerbread house as my final Blogvent post! I think next year I'm definitely going to make it earlier as I've literally only just finished it now, and I still have presents to wrap. It's such a good job that work let us leave at 2pm as otherwise I never would have got it done!


It's nowhere near as good as the recipe one, but for a first go I'm really happy with it. I stuffed it with marshmallows to try and keep it upright, and used royal icing (which is a bitch to beat by hand isn't it!?) to stick it together and for the roof. The chimney is a stack of fruit pastilles! I must admit I did mess up the roof a bit - went storming in, slathering icing all over it to stick on the 'tiles' then realised you were meant to dollop just a little bit of icing on each one to stick them in individually, then spoon icing on the top to look like a snowdrift. So it just looks like I ran out of roof tiles...

I also had the idea of icing the year on the back as I wanted to make this a little tradition of mine now, and it will be fun to look back at them over the years and see which ones worked and which ones were a total disaster!


So this is it! Blogvent over. I've really enjoyed posting every day, it's been a great challenge and made me get myself organised and try out new recipes that I might not have otherwise done. It's also been great to discover other lovely blogs while searching for other recipes to include when I haven't had chance to bake something myself. So thanks to Chloe and Faye for coming up with such a lovely idea!

I hope you all have wonderful Christmases, and wish you all lots of love, luck and happiness for 2011 xxx

4 comments:

  1. What a great Gingerbread House! Its always such a nice feelign to get it finished and it looks wonderful. Will you have the heart to eat it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, you made it all the way through too! What a finale - I've loved reading all your posts! I hope that work is going well too x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay glad you got to make it! It looks great :) I got a gingerbread house making kit for Xmas so I will have to make one next year (if I can wait that long!)..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh My Goodness, that is AMAZING - Well done you, you should be very proud! :)

    I hope you had a lovely Christmas and New Year xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...