Tuesday, 9 November 2010

First week in our first home

Hello! I'm baaaaaaack! We are FINALLY online, nearly 2 months after placing our order. What a palava! I'm so looking forward to catching up on everyone's blogs, I can't believe how out of touch with the world I feel.

I have quite a few baking posts lined up, but first I wanted to share some pictures from our first week in the new place - I was snapping away on my Blackberry as the camera was packed away in a box somewhere!


1. Favourite bit of new place #1: Beams! I have always wanted to live somewhere with beams.


2. Favourite bit of new place #2: the lounge. It's tiny, but cosy, and I love the brickwork around the patio doors.


3. Favourite bit of new place #3: my round window! This is right next to the bed and I love lazy mornings in bed watching the world go by... well, the occasional tractor at least!


4. Breakfast on the first morning. I was overjoyed at finding a toast rack in the cupboard! Needless to say, it hasn't been used since...


5. Surely no week in a new home is complete without a trip to Ikea! 6 weeks later and we still haven't decided what DVD storage to get, but never mind, it's just a good excuse for more meatballs and Daim cakes if you ask me!


6. My first baking session in the new kitchen, set against a backdrop of awesome housewarming gifts! I love the 'bake' letters, which we were a gift from Mike's sister, and she also made us a couple of extra letters - a 'M' and a 'I' which means we can also spell out our names!

7. The outcome of the first baking session - good old faithful cupcakes.


8. This is the first 'proper' meal that I cooked in the new kitchen - please excuse the filth around the pan and on the hob... I'm quite a messy cook! The kitchen was a right state, there were blobs all over the floor, up the walls, on the side of the microwave... it looked like somebody had been shot! Anyway, I've been building up a stash of recipes cut out from various magazines over time and this was one of them. It's from BBC Good Food magazine and you can see it on the website here, but I will repost below:

Chicken, potato and green bean curry

Serves 41 tbsp sunflower oil
1 onion, chopped
6 chicken thigh fillets, cubed
2 potatoes, cut into small cubes
2 tbsp mild curry paste
500g tomato passata
200g fine green beans
150g pot natural yoghurt
plain rice or naan bread, to serve
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion and chicken together over a medium heat for 5 mins until the onion is soft.

2. Add the potatoes, curry paste and passata, bring to the boil, then cover and gently simmer for 15 mins.

3. Add the beans and a splash of water and cook for 10-15 mins more until all the veg is tender and the chicken is cooked through.

4. Remove from the heat and stir in the yoghurt.

5. Serve with rice or naan (or rice AND naan if you're greedy like me!)

I will be back very soon with more posts of what's been going on in my kitchen, but in the meantime I'm looking forward to catching up with everything I've missed during the last 6 weeks of net-less hell!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Kim for your thoughtful words :)

    Your house looks AMAZING - especially the round window! (I was talking to a friend recently who said round windows freak him out! ??)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray!! Oh my goodness I hope you don't mind but I think I'm going to be moving in with you ok?!

    How good was baking in your very own kitchen?! I'm betting...AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you have internet again- LOVE the beams and round windows!! Hope you are settling in ok x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new little house looks lovely! It' so nice to have your own place isn't it? Love all your little baking ornaments in your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...