Thursday, 23 September 2010

Carrot Cake and a challenge!

Well, I'm all packed ready for the big move tomorrow and Saturday, so thought I would sneak in a quick blog entry before I pack up my laptop. Not sure when internet access will be sorted - although its meant to 'go live' tomorrow, the router hasn't made an appearance yet, so who knows when that will be sorted!

This is the carrot cake I made for Mike's dad's birthday a few weeks ago. I don't like carrot cake, so I was a bit whingey about making it when Mike suggested it... but since it is his favourite I gave it a go, and I'm glad I did because it was an opportunity to bake something I wouldn't normally bother with.


I ate a slice to be polite (and I always think it looks a bit suspicious if you present someone with a cake and then refuse to eat it!), but I'm really not a fan, and rather embarrassingly had to leave a little pile of raisins on my plate like a child! (nasty things - one of the most unpleasant surprises I've ever had was when I tucked into a bag of Revels without realising they had added raisin ones...)

The icing was meant to be drizzled in lines, but I had so much of it I slopped it all on, hence the running down the sides. Anyway, Mike's dad seemed to like it, so I think it was a success, even though it tasted pretty vile to me!

I've got a huge challenge this week - my Dad is 60 next weekend and I have been asked to make the cake! We're going out for a meal and so it will be sent into the kitchen to be brought out in front of everyone. I'm so nervous - luckily, his favourite cake is Victoria sponge so that bit will be quite straight forward, but it's the decorating I'm worried about! I was going to try and ice the theatre masks onto it, as he's really into his Am Dram, but I'm aware that could end up being a complete disaster...!

Hopefully I will be back soon, but if I'm not, then it's because I'm still waiting for the router...

5 comments:

  1. Hope the move all goes well and the router makes an appearance.

    Man I LOVE carrot cake. Feel free to send some my way if you ever do make any more of it.

    Hope your Dad's cake turns out brilliantly. I'm sure it will - take photos please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrot cake on my agenda this weekend! No raisins though (raisins in a carrot cake?)! Hope the move goes well! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh carrot cake is yummy -really moist mmmm..! I have never tried to make one tho. Good luck with the move, you will be living out of boxes for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe try making a few Victoria Sponges and if one goes wrong you've got a fall back (and something to eat the day after), not that I don't have every faith in you! :)

    I'm holding a giveaway over on my blog, make sure you check it out http://my-favourite-fashion.blogspot.com/

    Have a great weekend! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the move and the victoria sandwich!! I am sure all will go well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...