Friday, 16 July 2010

Sometimes I cook, too...

It's not a cake or a bake, but I was so proud of my Jambalaya that I wanted to share it on my blog. I made it as a 6-month anniversary meal for my boyfriend.

As well as baking, I have been trying to be more adventurous in terms of cooking in general over the past year or so. I've always been such a fussy eater, and so there were loads of things I'd never tried - which usually landed me in trouble if I went out to eat anywhere that wasn't British.

Anyway, I got this receipe for chicken & chorizo Jambalaya out of the free magazine from Asda, what a find it was! To me now (and probably most other people) this isn't remotely exotic, but a year or so ago, I probably wouldn't have touched peppers, celery or chorizo, and certainly would have left out the thyme! Thought I would share the recipe because it's so yummy and easy to make...

Serves 4
100g chorizo
500g chicken, diced
1 large red onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 celery sticks, sliced
3 red/green peppers, sliced
200g white long grain rice
400ml hot chicken stock
400g tin chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp chopped thyme

1. Slice the chorizo and dry fry with the chicken until the fat runs out of the chorizo and the chicken is browned. Transfer to a saucepan, leaving the fat in the pan.

2. Cook the onion in the frying pan for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, celery and peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring, then add to the chicken & chorizo.

3. Stir in the rice and pour over the hot stock. Add the tomatoes, season and stir. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the rice is cooked, stirring occasionally and adding more stock if needed.

4. Stir in the thyme and serve.

I also made a rhubarb crumble for dessert, which I was so eager to dive into that I forgot to photograph... I was a bit disappointed because I was hoping to have rhubarb left over for the rhubarb & custard muffins I've been eyeing up for a while, but I didn't have any left at all (stupid me not realising that a handful of rhubarb is barely enough for a crumble, let alone anything else)... today I've been on a rhubarb hunt again but nowhere has any, I'm starting to think these muffins just aren't meant to be!

2 comments:

  1. Just thought I'd let you know that I made this last night for me and my housemate and we absolutely loved it! Man it was good. Thanks so much for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yummy, I have copied this and printed it off, I think it's something I can even get the boyfriend to eat (will be leaving out the celery though!!) Thanks :) x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...