Sunday, 25 July 2010

Right rhubarb, wrong time...

I'm excited to report that I finally found some rhubarb, but unfortunately, I was so excited to find it that I bought it without considering exactly how much time I had available to do anything with it...! But anyway, over the past few days I've managed to squeeze in a couple of batches of rhubarb-themed muffins.

First up were the rhubarb and custard muffins that have been on my wish list for ages.

I suppose I wasn't as pleased with them as I thought I'd be - probably because I'd been thinking about them for so long that I'd built them up too much! I was hoping they'd be like those M&S melt in the middle chocolate pudding things, and like in the advert, you'd stick a fork in and then the custard would run out in a perfect little trickle. That's not quite how it worked out unfortunately!

They were still pretty tasty, and I think I just need to use thicker custard next time, and put less of the muffin mix into the case before the blob of custard. With these I ended up with hardly enough mix to cover up the custard blobs! I wish I'd taken my time making them, but I was in a rush on Thursday evening. It really does seem that they were cursed - having finally managed to get some rhubarb, I then had to try 3 shops before I could get some soured cream - and then I nearly ended up lobbing the oranges through the window as the grater wouldn't grate the zest properly! So I think I need to make the next batch when I'm feeling a bit less stressed...

This evening I made rhubarb crumble cupcakes! I was really pleased with these and they were quite fun to make. Basically they are just a standard cupcake mix, with a bit of cinnamon, top with some roasted rhubarb and then sprinkle on some crumble. They were especially yummy when eaten still warm!

There's not much else to say about these other than that they are possibly my favourite thing that I've made so far! I'm making a rhubarb crumble tomorrow and then I think I'll give rhubarb a rest for a while, it seems like it's all I've been thinking about lately!

2 comments:

  1. Ummm lovely blog, it's really making me hungry!

    If you get a minute between baking please check out my blog http://my-favourite-fashion.blogspot.com/ I'm holding a little vintage giveaway if your interested.

    Vikki x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm I love rhubarb! I hate baking when i'm stressed, it completely takes all the fun out of it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...