Wednesday, 7 July 2010

Must do better

Argh! I hate it when life gets in the way of baking... I've just started doing some temping, and so it's a big adjustment getting back into a 9 - 5 routine when I've been used to being a student, so by the time the evenings and weekends come around, I just find myself wanting to catch up with friends or blank out in front of the laptop...

Anyway! I have been wanting to share some pictures of my second attempt at Gill/Helen's Chocolate cake, which I baked again for my boyfriend's birthday. I definitely think it went better the second time around, and I got the consistency of the frosting better, meaning I could ice the sides aswell. I'm not sure it looked that much better, since it was all a bit wonky, but nobody seemed to really care and the cake was consumed quite rapidly!

It was the first time I'd really tried to write anything on a cake, and I think my skills leave a lot to be desired! I just bought some of the chocolate writing icing and it was so difficult to get it central, all the same size, etc, and I kept thinking I was going to misspell something! Definitely need to get some practice in.

I also made a small batch of cupcakes for Father's Day which led to me brandishing the writing icing once again... I almost don't want to post a picture because it does look a bit like a child did it! But in the spirit of sharing everything, here they are...!

It's my cousin's birthday this week and so this thankfully means I'll be forced into the kitchen to bake some cupcakes for her party, otherwise I'd probably just be lazy again. I'm just going to do some standard vanilla and chocolate ones because I can't risk them going wrong! I'm really hoping I can try something new soon, as the last few things I've baked have been 'safe' things I've tried before!

2 comments:

  1. I think this is uber impressive. I'm yet to try and bake a 'proper' cake. I've done a couple of cheesecakes but I want to do the whole shebang with icing and everything but I'm so fearful of a kitchen disaster that I have a tendency to either keep making the same things or make things that look pretty easy and take minimal effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look fab! I'm completely rubbish at making any sort of frosting. Betty Crockers instant chocolate frosting saved my bacon a while back when I made a cake for Mr M's brother. Goes on like a dream. I've only done lettering once or twice - I found doing the letters individually on greaseproof paper and leaving them to dry overnight before placing them on the cake worked but is seriously time consuming and really better suited to large letters/numbers. I'd love to go on a Peggy Porschen course.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...