Monday, 14 June 2010

My first baking disaster

I got the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook for my birthday and had been poring over it for weeks, trying to decide what I should bake first! I (sensibly, or so I thought) chose to keep it simple and try the vanilla cupcakes. Unfortunately, these ended up providing my first baking disaster. I suppose I've been lucky so far in that I've been trying to bake for a year now and this was the first thing that just had to go straight into the bin. I don't know what went wrong - I had to convert the measurements from grams to pounds and ounces, so perhaps some of my measurements were a bit off... basically, they were burning on the top but not cooked in the middle, and were spilling out over the sides of the cases! What a sorry sight this picture is:


Anyway, I shouldn't really just be posting about how rubbish I am. Luckily, as it was my niece's birthday, I couldn't do what I'd normally do and throw a massive strop/sulk for a few days/vow never to bake again, so I made another batch from my usual recipe, which turned out fine, and Piping Icing Attempt No. 2 went much better than the first...

I also picked up some cake boxes from Chester Market, which I think look much nicer than the old tins of Celebrations and Roses I've been using to distribute my cakes around so far!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...